Wednesday, August 3, 2022

It's a Small, Beach Boys-Obsessed World

 

Last week my garden plot had a bunch of happy bean plants, one pepper plant, some radishes, three big squash plants, four kale plants, four chard plants, four ground cherries, and a ton of volunteer tomato plants, besides the two strawberry plants and one chive plant that always come up. Monday when I went to weed, all the beans had been eaten down to nubs! The pepper plant was gone, and something had pulled up one of the strawberry plants, which was dead. One of the chard plants had been pulled up as well, but it was still alive, so I replanted it, and today it looked really good. I should have spaghetti squash soon - I see several fruits, but none are ripe yet. Oddly, the ground cherries have tons of fruit, but I never seem to find any ripe ones. Is something or someone taking them as soon as they ripen?

Sadly, last week I found Lady Cardinal dead in front of our front door. I'm guessing she hit the glass and broke her neck. I moved her off to the bushes, and now there's nothing left of her but her delicate little bones. So sad! Even sadder, Lord Cardinal keeps singing loudly, like he's looking for her. I don't know if he saw her dead on the ground, or if he wonders where she is. I hope he finds a new mate next spring, poor guy! Last year they had a fledgling, but I don't know if they have babies this year, or if they're grown already, or if Lord Cardinal can raise them as a single dad. There are plenty of other cardinals in our neighborhood, but this pair lived right in front of our building, and we saw the two of them hopping around on the lawn all the time, so I feel like I knew them personally.

Today I asked Travalon what triggered the Beach Boys kick he's been on for the last couple of weeks, and he thought about it, and then he remembered that he was thinking of a speech teacher he had in high school. The teacher loved classic rock, and once he had them recite song lyrics, so Travalon recited "I Get Around," and everyone laughed because the words are so repetitive and silly. He said he wished he had kept in touch with that teacher, since the two of them talked about classic rock together all the time, so I said maybe he's on social media, and sure enough, he found him. They started chatting, and the teacher had just watched the same movie about the Beach Boys last week that Travalon had! And now Sirius Radio has a temporary station dedicated to the Beach Boys, just in time for Travalon's kick! Those are all weird coincidences, and then I had one too, because when I looked up this teacher on social media, he and I had a mutual friend - my old boss from the private sector. What a small world it is, with everything coming up Beach Boys all of a sudden!


Famous Hat


No comments: