Thursday, August 18, 2022

Creepy Cranes?

 

The modern dinosaurs are everywhere! Check out these ominous photos Hardingfele took of them right outside her office window:



The other day I was talking to a neighbor I don't know that well, and she said the cranes creep her out because she saw one eat a mouse. I was puzzled - how is eating a mouse NOT a selling point? Humans have attempted to domestic cats just to get rid of mice! Maybe we would have had an easier time domesticating the cranes, although I'll say that having had both mammals and birds as pets, birds are a lot less tame. Of course, I had parakeets, which haven't had millennia of breeding at the hands of humans, so maybe I need to have pet chickens to make a fair comparison. Some people tell me that chickens are really affectionate, but then you hear from those people who were terrorized by a rooster as a child. I have little personal experience with chickens, just the bluejay I raised when I was a teenager and the parakeets I bred in college. They do have those scaly, weird feet with claws and those scary beaks, but then cats have claws and dogs have fierce teeth, and really the animal you are most likely to be killed by is another human, so what's safe? Maybe an earthworm? I'll bet the cranes eat those too.


Famous Hat


No comments: