Thursday, August 25, 2022

Church Organist Murder Spam

 

It's been a long time since I posted any spam, since none that I have gotten has been that interesting, and Hardingfele has ceased to send me any, or indeed even read this blog. But I did get a poetically worded piece of spam at my work email address. The outline is the usual: "My husband left me a large sum of money, I have no one to give it to and am dying, so I am offering it to you, Internet Stranger." But what got me is that it starts with how this person wants to go into "Godly business partnership" with me, and they got my "profound contact email" after fasting and praying. And it also links to a story about a church organist being fatally injured on Christmas Eve and then his widow (the alleged one writing the email) "played a leading role in an emotional candlelit service at the spot where he was attacked." Or at least, that what it claims the link goes to... I'm not so naive as to click on it. A Google search shows that there was, in fact, a terrible murder of a church organist as he walked to Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve in England, so that's tragic. But I find it hard to believe that this same church organist also made a fortune working for an oil company. Are the scammers just thinking that I'll find this person, Alan Greaves, was actually murdered and he actually had a widow named Maureen? It says right in the Guardian article (which is at least ten years old) that the motive for the murder wasn't robbery, which would seem to imply the church organist had about as much money as you'd expect him to have, which is hardly any. It sounds like the two young hoodlums who attacked him were just drunk and bored. But I am impressed to know that my email is "profound." 


Famous Hat


No comments: