Wednesday, August 17, 2022

Emergency Band Practice

 

Today Hardingfele wanted to have lunch, so even though I had brought mine, I went with her to Union South... and all the restaurants there were closed, so we had to double back to the WID. All the tables outside were full, so we ate our black rice curry bowls by the plants, right under the shadow of the big pandanus plant. I told Hardingfele that it was an edible plant, but she was skeptical, so I told her about the pandan latte I had a few weeks ago. Then she said if I snuck out of work a few minutes early, we could catch the bus and go all the way to Hilldale to get her car, and then she could drive me to band practice. I said no thanks, I already missed my rosary walk at noon, so I would take it then.

It was a lovely evening for a walk, sunny but not too hot. As I walked along, praying the rosary, a car honked at me. I looked up, and I thought I saw a guy from our Night Prayer group waving at me. (He was at Night Prayer tonight, so I was able to verify that it was, in fact, him.) And of course I got to band practice well before Hardingfele. Our leader wants us to play at her church for not even an hour, and Hardingfele has no interest, so I'll probably end up playing the fiddle at that gig. It's a nonpaying gig, just like the one we were practicing for tonight, which is Sunday at Garner Park at one. We're playing at a Ukrainian festival, and we're learning all these Ukrainian songs. They have fun chords like C# minor and Bb that I don't play that often, and they tend to be minor key. After an hour we had practiced all the Ukrainian pieces, so our leader said let's practice some song I've been playing so long it could legally drink if it was a person. Fortunately that's when Travalon showed up, because I don't mind an emergency practice for pieces we don't know that well, but songs I've been playing since I was in my long-ago twenties? No thanks, those can wait until regular practice.


Famous Hat


No comments: