Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Photos of Our Apostle Islands Cruise

 

Today Travalon got done with work early, so he went to the Union Terrace, and I joined him there. Then I got busy with random stuff, including checking my email address that I always forget exists until people tell me they sent me email that I never got at my usual email address, so of course I am once again blogging way too late. But at least I can sleep later tomorrow because for the first time in what feels like ages, I can work from home!

Here are photos from our Apostle Islands cruise. First, the marina by where we caught our boat.


Doesn't the town of Bayfield look so cute from the water?



These are blocks of brownstone that were abandoned when the bottom fell out of the market for them.


See the volunteer waving to us from the old Manitou Island fish camp?


We saw wildlife, some eagles that Travalon didn't get good shots of, and here are cormorants.


The sea caves in the red stone of Devil's Island were truly spectacular.


This one even looks like a skull! 





This one kind of looks like a face too.



Here is the lighthouse on Devil's Island.



I took this shot with my cell phone. Not too bad, ey? The natives called this island "Evil Spirit Island" because in the caves the wind sometimes sounds like a woman wailing. (We didn't hear that.)






I don't know why my photo of Travalon, taken at the same spot, is so dark.




The lighthouse on Devil's Island is the last one in the Apostle Islands with this kind of lens.


Here are shots of the lighthouse complex on Raspberry Island.




The sun was starting to sink in the sky as we returned to port.


I like this church on the hill. I have no idea if it's Catholic.


Here is a view of the port.


In the background, you can see a building with blue umbrellas on the roof. That's the Bayfield Inn, the restaurant where we ate dinner. They must get a lot of business from people who see them from the boats, because lots of our fellow diners had been on our cruise. The food is very good.


This is the ferry to Madeline Island, which we have taken before.


Madeline Island is not part of the National Shoreline, because too many people lived there for the government to buy all their property to make the island part of the park. The other islands were lightly populated, and the properties on them were grandfathered in so that they could be registered to one person until that person dies. This happened right around the time I was born, and people were busy registering these properties to their babies, but now those babies are middle-aged so soon all the islands but Madeline will revert to government control. However, Madeline Island has a lively scene with Tom's Burned-Down Bar, which I have featured on this blog before, so you can always move there.


Famous Hat


No comments: