Friday, August 19, 2022

The Three-Minute Song: Older than You Thought

 

Tonight Travalon and I took a Betty Lou Cruise. We were a little apprehensive, since the Dane Dance on the Monona Terrace rooftop was canceled due to expected bad weather, but they never canceled the cruise. We got our usual spot on the bow and were singing along to the interesting mix of three minute long popular songs the captain provided as the yacht plowed through the driving waves, and I was really enjoying the ride until seeing some lightning in the distance. The captain saw it too, and he said he was going to turn around and go back, although by then we were already across the lake, right by the Union Terrace and the Edgewater. Also, dinner was ready, and it was windy and wet up top, so Travalon and I decided we might as well eat inside. The cruise was still two hours long, but I got home in time to join Rich and Anna Banana II for the chatting session after Night Prayer.

After the chat, I saw on social media that someone had posted about the oldest written song, which is three thousand four hundred years old and in a language called Hurrian. It's an ode to a moon goddess, but the part that got me is that it is three minutes long. Why... that's the length of an average pop song in the Twentieth and Twenty-First Centuries! It's also, I have noticed, the average length of a movement in a Baroque concerto. Apparently people have always had three-minute attention spans for songs. I'm imagining some agent three millennia ago arguing with his musician clients about why they can't release their eight minute long song, because nobody has attention spans long enough and they'll never listen to it. I guess human nature really never changes.

Travalon noted that I really should post a link to the song, so here it is:



Famous Hat


No comments: