Thursday, August 4, 2022

Perfect Garden Party (but Not Perfect Me)

 

Okay, so I know y'all want to hear about dinner at the Chancellor's house, but first let me set the scene: I have been in the Staff Congress for years now, and every year they have elections for a Central Committee that decides what we will discuss. Some years ago a woman on it encouraged me to run, but I wasn't that enthused, so I threw my hat in the ring and did nothing. When the votes were tabulated, I had gotten the least number, which was broadcast in an email to the entire Congress. Oh well, I thought, I can use some humility. Then this year the secretary and the guy who is always on the Central Committee asked me to run, so I did, and this time I campaigned. When the votes were tabulated and the email was sent out, I looked from the bottom up and couldn't find my name until the second from the top. Since the first five candidates win, I was on the Central Committee.

Today we had our first meeting, and we elected a chair (the guy who is always on it) and a vice chair (me). The meeting was originally scheduled for tomorrow, but I think we all groaned about a meeting on a summer Friday, so it was moved... to right during the ice cream social to welcome our new Chancellor, who started today. Then the chair was saying that we will be invited to all these social gatherings at the Chancellor's house, and we were going there for dinner tonight, so I guess that's why we could miss ice cream. Although we didn't, because we got our business done quickly, so I was able to get some orange custard chocolate chip ice cream. 

After work I walked to the Chancellor's house in a lovely neighborhood full of large, beautiful houses with lush gardens. It was a mile walk on a hot day, so I really should have ducked into the bathroom quickly to check out the damage, but instead I greeted the Chancellor... and right after that someone told me my fly was down. Oh well, I can use some humility. I didn't get much of a chance to talk to the Chancellor, but I sat with the guy who is always on the committee and his wife, who are both hilarious, and a bunch of students who were a lot of fun. Travalon came late, and there weren't any seats at that table, so I moved to a lightly occupied table with him. Then I powdered my nose, and ew! My scapular was hanging out, and my mascara had run. So who knows if the Chancellor even noticed my errant zipper - she might have been too focused on my raccoon eyes and this... thing, like a tag, hanging outside of my blouse. I really should have put myself together first - what an impression I must have made! At least I wasn't giving a speech in front of a thousand people or something, and the evening was perfect, the food and drinks were delicious (especially the strawberry rhubarb pavlova for dessert, oh my goodness!), and the garden was delightful and shady. Oh, and the Chancellor has a very cute dog. I thought at first his name was Play-Doh, and I thought, "That's an odd thing to name a dog after!" but then it occurred to me that his name was probably Plato, so I said, "Like the philosopher?" and they said, "That's right." Also, I love that her husband's last name (which is not the same as hers) is German for "Tuesday." That used to be my least favorite day of the week, but now that I have Date Night with Jesus every Tuesday, it's really moved up on my list.


Famous Hat


No comments: