Thursday, August 11, 2022

Madison Night Market Gig

 

Once again I am writing this entirely too late because of DuoLingo, of course. Every time I'm about to quit, it says I can get double credit for the next fifteen minutes. Finally I just had to put it down. For some reason it's exciting to read French, because it's almost as easy as reading English, especially after doing years of Irish. Of course, this is very easy French, but in college I would use papers written in French as sources for my essays. I had to read whole novels in French for literature courses. It may have been three decades ago, but I retained enough to easily read the simple sentences DuoLingo throws at me, and I find it so addictive. Maybe because it reminds me of when I was young...

Today I got a lot done at work, then I left early (after starting early so I didn't have to take vacation time) to go to our gig. It was on State Street, in a plaza where a guy was panhandling, but he left when he realized we would be busking. After all, you make less money for doing nothing when there are people next to you asking for money because they are actually performing. It was for Madison Night Market, which is a thing they do every second Thursday during the temperate months, so I can't do it too often because I always have a meeting the second Thursday. (I begged out of it today.) Our gig went pretty well; a few people tipped us, several people stopped to listen to us, and some people were making videos of us on their phones. There is probably a lot of random footage of me playing the mandolin all over the interwebs. The next act was setting up toward the end of our hour, so we cut out five minutes early, and my bandmates didn't want to count the tips in front of people, so I just took off. I don't need that buck two-eighty right now anyway. I did stop to get a cheesy bun for myself and one for Travalon - there were several flavors, so I chose beer cheese with bacon. So good!! Then I hustled to get home, and just after I arrived, Travalon came with two scoops of Culver's new custard flavor, espresso toffee bar. So good!! Isn't that cute that we brought each other treats on the same night? Aw, we're adorkable!


Famous Hat


No comments: