Saturday, March 16, 2024

Indian Music Concert

 

It is never the wrong time for some DuoLingo bragging, especially if it involves frogs:


But wait - there's more!

Yesterday I worked from home, then I talked to Tiffy. We were talking about our childhood piggy banks, and she tried to send me a photo of her Porky Pig piggy bank, but I didn't get it. Finally I did get it:

Later in the conversation, she started laughing till she was practically crying. The reason I hadn't gotten the photo right away is because she didn't send it to me - she sent it to a random hair salon she had gone to once years ago here in town that had just sent her a text to remind her to come in to get her hair done... and she accidentally responded with this photo. I'm not sure any explanation is even needed, but I suppose she could add, "Can you do this haircut?"

Today Travalon was hanging out with a high school buddy, watching the high school basketball tournaments. In the morning I went for a brisk rosary walk, and at that time the weather was sunny and just a bit windy. Rich wanted to go on a hike at Cherokee Marsh with an out-of-town guest, but by the time we got there, it was overcast with a biting, cold wind, so they didn't enjoy it that much. I did show them the observation deck from which you can see the little island, and we also walked out onto the peninsula. Then we warmed up at Zippy Lube with coffee and fried chicken.

I cleaned a bit at home, then Travalon had a small window of time when he could meet us for dinner, so he met up with my colleague, her husband, and me at Himal Chuli. He left to go watch another basketball game, while we went to the Union. I went to the box office to get my free tickets to the concert of East Indian music (my colleague and her husband also got free tickets, but not near mine), but the box office wasn't open yet. So we went to the Sunset Lounge to get the special ginger, turmeric, and mango drink they were selling just for this concert, but they weren't selling it yet. So we ended up getting ice cream. Once the box office opened, the line for will call tickets was really long, so my colleague waited in it for me while I went to find Kathbert. We were looking for each other in different spots, so by the time we found each other, my colleague was at the front of the line, but because she could spell my last name, they gave her my tickets, so that was helpful. Kathbert wondered why there was no program, but the concert was one long jam on the raga jog, using a rhythm with ten beats. There was an apparently renowned tabla player with a flutist to his right and a guy playing a really interesting stringed instrument to his left. It seemed to be a cross between a viol and a hardy-gurdy, because it had a constant drone. Some of the audience members were rude (why bring a toddler? why look at your phone through the whole thing?), but it was a cool concert, even if we would have liked more of an explanation of the instruments. I love how the tabla drums sound like "Doink!" For an encore, the string player sang a song as they all played along. I love the scale, whatever "raga jog" is. Kind of Dorian? State Street was kind of crazy afterwards because of St. Patrick's Day, so Kathbert walked me to my car and then I drove her home so that neither of us would have to walk alone through that nonsense.

Here are a couple of the plants I got from Travalon's mom's funeral.

It's a really pretty purple ti plant (the color didn't come through that well) and a gerbera daisy. I will try to take photos of some of the other plants soon.


Famous Hat


No comments: