Sunday, March 10, 2024

Kiwi at the St. Patrick's Day Party

 

Today was a slightly frustrating day. Mass in the gym was fine, and afterwards Mr. N'Awlins, who seemed to have been giving us the cold shoulder for years after a political disagreement, came over and talked to us, and we had a pleasant conversation. Then Travalon and I went to the Shamrock Club St. Patrick's Day party, and that went pretty well. The two women we'd sat with at the Halfway to St. Paddy's Day party sat with us again, along with another guy also named Travalon who was from New Zealand. This confused Kiwi wasn't a member, but apparently someone had erroneously put into the paper that the raising of the Irish flag at the Capitol next weekend would be at the restaurant today, which makes no sense if you think about it, but he showed up anyway. This year's Irish Person of the Year told him someone hadn't been able to come, so if he was fine with shrimp, he could stay for lunch. He was a lot of fun to talk to, and I believe by the end of lunch he had been convinced to join the club. Then during the raffle, my Travalon got the Irish atlas he wanted, and I got a club T-shirt, but it was possibly too small for me, so I traded the other Travalon for a mystery package. This turned out to be a mug covered in shamrocks and filled with chocolate, so a very un-Lenten prize. Since it's Sunday (and Laetare Sunday at that!) we went ahead and indulged in some chocolate.

None of that was frustrating, except for the photo the club posted of us on social media; the two Travalons look fine, but I look like they caught me mid-chew. Always a good look. If that was all that went wrong today, I'd say who cares. But Travalon apparently pulled a muscle in his back, so he didn't want to go for a hike anywhere. I went outside to maybe pray a rosary, and right away I ran into a neighbor walking her dog, so we walked for over half an hour, and then she invited me over. I powdered my nose quickly and noticed her toilet made an odd sound when I flushed it, but I didn't think more about it. We sat on her wonderful sun porch and talked while her puppy kept trying to lick my face off. Then we planned to walk a little more,  but I couldn't find my sunglasses anywhere. They weren't in any of my coat pockets, and I didn't seem to have set them down anywhere. Finally something made me check the toilet... and they were in there. That must have been the strange sound I'd heard when flushing. That was frustrating, but I just washed them off, and they were fine. We walked some more, and I went to check on Travalon, who was feeling better, so he and I went for a hike at Jackson's Landing. It wasn't the warmest day, but it was sunny without much wind, so we enjoyed it. So... here's where it gets frustrating. I've been trying to get vigorous zone minutes, but apparently I walked so slowly on all these walks that I only got four fat-burning zone minutes. Weird!

Travalon took me to band practice and went to Leopold's, where he bought the book I'd started to read on Wednesday. When we got home, I could have logged in to Night Prayer just a few minutes late, but I wanted to get the other eighteen active minutes for my daily minimum, plus I still needed to pray a rosary, so I used the new cuddly one that glows under blacklight to pray while walking around the house as fast as I could. I was sweaty and breathing hard... and still only had four active minutes. What the heck, FitBit? It's bad enough that I can't seem to get vigorous minutes no matter how hard I try, but now I can't even get the fat-burning zone?? It's insane how my lived experience doesn't seem to match with what FitBit thinks. A couple of months ago I climbed up five flights of stairs at Holy Hill (Hilly Hole) and was panting and gasping and my heart was pounding, but did FitBit think I'd exerted myself at all? Nope. Oddly, I have the opposite experience with swimming - no matter how leisurely my pace, FitBit says I got a bunch of vigorous minutes. Guess we should have just gone swimming tonight.


Famous Hat 


No comments: