Tuesday, July 16, 2024

Shamrock Club Picnic 2024

 

No thunderstorms today - can you believe it? There was no rain at all, and it was mostly sunny but overcast here and there. It was supposed to be a slightly less scorching day but was still really warm. The big excitement was when the refrigerator repairman came, took one look at our fridge, and said it was ancient and dying a natural death. He said, "I'm not even going to charge you for this house call. There are two things wrong that would cost $1000 to fix, and you can get a new one for $600. Plus I'm not even sure I could get parts for a refrigerator this old." So it looks like tomorrow after work we will be shopping for our new refrigerator. 

In the evening we went to the Shamrock Club picnic on the south side of town. There weren't as many people there as other years, and the two women we always seem to talk to at the Christmas and St. Patrick's Day parties weren't there. A few people greeted us warmly, but we ended up sitting by ourselves at first, eating and listening to three teenage siblings play Irish music. They were so good! The oldest one played the banjo, and the two girls played the fiddle. I entertained myself by trying to remember the names of the tunes they were playing. Then the Kiwi we had met at the last party came over and talked to us, and the woman who always takes photos. She took this photo of us.


The first photo she took, I didn't look very happy, and I thought this one was better, but my nose looks weird and squinched up. Then I took a photo of her and the Kiwi. I think this is the last party for a while, because I need to stop eating like this! So many good desserts! (We brought pretzels.) I wanted to do something besides sit around and eat, and someone had brought corn hole, but Travalon wasn't interested in playing. What we really need to play is tennis, because that seems to burn some serious calories. Swimming was doing it for me, but I guess my body got too used to it, because now I only get active minutes and not vigorous ones for swimming. Le sigh. They say you have to constantly switch your exercise up to shock your body, and they must be right. If my body gets too used to tennis, we can always switch to pickleball because we did get a set last year. We haven't used it yet. Soon...


Famous Hat


No comments: