Friday, March 6, 2020

Imperfect Rosaries



One of the things I am trying to do for Lent this year is stop acquiring things (say, plants and rosaries) and instead take care of the ones I already have. My fancier rosaries are in cases or pouches, but the less fancy ones were loose in a shoebox, where they got all tangled up. When I told Richard Bonomo that I didn’t think to get something to hang them on when we were at Home Depot, he said, “I have something you can use.” It’s a key-shaped rack with hooks, and Kathbert found it curbside and gave it to him for hanging his keys so he wouldn’t lose them, but he had never hung it up. I did hang it and put my rosaries on it, and I will post a photo soon. It occurs to me that I have subsets in my collection, like Irish-themed rosaries, and one subset is imperfect rosaries. My Christmas rosary has one bead smaller than all the others, I have a rose petal one that has four starting beads for Hail Marys instead of three, and I have one that is completely missing an Our Father bead. This one is plastic and looks handmade, and it has a pattern of every other bead being white or a bright color, with a different color for each decade. To my surprise, when the grad student I often pray with stopped by to pray the rosary this afternoon, she had a very similar one. She got it at a local shrine, and I found mine in the library of our church, but I’m guessing they were made by the same person.

Our house guest is back, and just as funny as ever. Yesterday I took her for a walk after work, and she wanted to walk by the nearby restaurant because there’s sometimes food on the ground. I am too empathetic, and I understand why she wants discarded people food instead of her dry dogfood, so I am fighting my own inclinations as well as hers when pulling her away from food on the ground. Then this morning I took the cap off a carton of cream and tried to toss it in the recycling bin, but I missed and it fell on the ground, and she immediately seized it. Luckily she just got tired of it and dropped it on the ground instead of eating it. Then I was watching a video about a guy who does turkey calls, and it wigged her out so much that she wouldn’t stop barking, even after I stopped the video. Travalon thought that was pretty funny! I guess Michaela hates gobbling.

My FitBit thought I was swimming last Sunday evening, which is somewhat mysterious since I was sitting around at Prairie Man’s birthday party and then walking in place in front of Peppa Pig. Then last night I had all my steps and relaxed while watching Peppa Pig, and it thought I was sleeping! It congratulated me for eight hours of sleep last night, but an hour of that was sitting in front of the TV. I can’t wait to see what it says if I do the Stations of the Cross…

Famous Hat


No comments: