Thursday, March 5, 2020

Not Getting Up Early on Saturday



Today during my lunchtime rosary walk, I watched one of those little food delivery robots work through a dilemma. It went to cross the street in a crosswalk, but someone had rudely parked in front of the ramp on the far side, so that it was blocked. The robot rolled up to the parked truck, seemed to think a moment, and then rolled around it to the curb. It wasn’t quite clever enough to realize that just thirty feet away there was another ramp so that it could have easily rolled up onto the sidewalk, but it somehow moved its six wheels around so that it climbed up over the curb! Those things are really intrepid.

Those wily morning people are at it again – now they’re promoting a study that shows if you don’t get up at the same time every morning, you are far more likely to suffer heart disease. Since I have no choice about what time I get up on weekdays, I assume that means they think I will get up at six am on Saturdays. But if they do think that, they are out of their ever loving minds. I highly suspect a lot of these studies are promoted by academic types who (if my department is any measure) roll into work about 9:30, so they can easily get out of bed around eight. It’s easy enough for them to say let’s all get up at the same time every day, because I could easily handle getting up at eight on a Saturday, especially if I was getting up at eight all the other days of the week so I didn’t have a sleep deficit. And just think: next week “six am” will actually be five am. Anyway, last year there was a Swedish study that said people who catch up on sleep during the weekend live longer, so I’m going with that one. It fits more neatly into my world view that one of the great joys of life is sleeping in on Saturday morning.

Famous Hat

No comments: