Sunday, March 29, 2020

White-Headed Goose


I hope my readers had as good a weekend as you could, considering the limited options. (People were posting a meme on social media that said: "I'm checking the map for weekend getaways," and then there was a floor plan of a house.) I spent Friday evening doing FaceTime with Tiffy. Saturday Travalon and I went for a hike at Castle Creek Conservancy, and nobody else was there so it was a good choice. We ordered lunch from Crema Cafe to give them some business, and while we were picking it up, we ran into our neighbor. She owns the glass fusing place, which is closed for now, and she was also ordering from Crema. She and I have gone on some walks together, staying on opposite sides of the road. Travalon and I also bought some fish from the seafood place at the far end of that little strip mall, then we went home and I cleaned some more. We took another walk in our neighborhood and noticed what looks like a boardwalk had suddenly appeared in the marsh across the river, so we took a ride and discovered trails that might go back to it. However, it was raining by then, so we will explore them another time. Travalon made the Arctic char for dinner - so delicious! I have been experimenting with Google Hangouts as maybe a good way for the Rosary Ladies to chat online, with the added bonus that then we can loop in Anna Banana II. Rich and I tried it last week, and we could see each other and he could hear me, but I couldn't hear him. Yesterday evening Jilly Moose had to work, and Anna Banana II was busy with her husband, but Rich, Luxuli, Prairie Man, and I tried Google Hangouts. This time nobody could hear me, but I could hear them, and we could all see each other. I tried it on another browser, and then it seemed to work. We also tried a multiple caller FaceTime session, and that didn't work at all. There was some weird sci-fi sounding feedback going on, and most of the time I couldn't see anyone. We'll get this worked out eventually...

Today Rich came over to watch the Mass again, which was at our church instead of the other one in our parish and had been taped last night so the audio was fine. They showed the video at the same time as our parish priest was celebrating Mass at the other church. Then Rich and Travalon made brunch again, and then Travalon and I went to Horicon Marsh for a hike. First we went to the part with the three-mile trail, but it was cold and blustery out, so we only went partway along it. We did see a lot of geese, including one that looked like a Canada goose on the bottom but a barnyard goose on the top. In this picture, you can see its white head and neck. I forgot to bring my good camera, so I couldn't zoom in and get a better picture. It appeared to have a mate that was a basic Canada goose. When they flew away, their wings and tails looked the same. The odd one seems to be a female, because later they came back, and then she seemed to be sitting on a nest.


We also walked out on the boardwalk in another part of the marsh, and we saw lots of muskrat lodges. This one was enormous! Travalon called it the Caesar's Palace of muskrat lodges. Some of the other lodges had geese sitting on top of them.


Then we came home and got Bellitalia takeout for dinner, because we're trying to support local restaurants, and also Travalon is tired of cooking. He has been doing almost all the cooking lately.

Here is a picture of my cuddly fleet sailing away. We can pretend we are sailing on them to a place where there is no corona virus!


Famous Hat

No comments: