Sunday, March 15, 2020

Lake Wisconsin and Horicon Marsh


I hope my readers had a good weekend. I am going to have a very strange work week, because I am supposed to work from home. Travalon will also be home, but he is basically getting a paid vacation, or staycation is more like it. And the dog is here too, so I won't be lonely tomorrow, but I may be very distracted!

Yesterday morning Travalon and I met Rich and Jilly Moose for coffee at our usual spot. State Street was almost completely empty, and the coffee shop was pretty empty too. It was kind of eerie. Then Jilly Moose and I prayed a Padre Pio chaplet to end the pandemic, and a rosary. (I got Padre Pio chaplets for all the Rosary Ladies but still need to get them to Luxuli and Anna Banana II.) Then Rich, Travalon, and I met OK Cap at Hubbard Avenue Diner for Pi Day. I had a slice of key lime pie, Travalon had a slice of mint Oreo pie, Rich had a slice of Mississippi mud pie, and OK Cap had a slice of strawberry rhubarb pie. The place was packed!

After that, Travalon and I went home and took Michaela out for a walk. She saw the golden squirrel running along the top of the fence and ran after it. Travalon said I should have made a video, but it happened too quickly. I did take a picture of the golden squirrel sitting on a telephone pole. You can see his golden tail, just the same color and fluffiness as Michaela's. It's like they are twins of different species.


The three of us drove to Sauk, where we saw seven eagles and walked in the VFW Park. We also stopped into an antique store downtown because there was a Mobile Pegasus sign in the window, and I ended up buying some rosaries and some necklaces that possibly I can make into rosaries. We drove up the north side of the lake and then down the south side, where we stopped at a park on Tipperary Road and took some pictures of the sunset. I couldn't decide which of these two to post, so I am posting both of them.



Looking the other direction, we saw the sunset lighting up a bluff.


This is a view from the causeway that leads to the Thirsty Moose Tavern.


We stopped by the bar from which you can see the two little islands, and this is a view of the sun setting behind the larger island.


When I zoomed in on it, it suddenly looked very purple.


Here are some photos of the rosaries I got. In this first photo, the chaplet on the left is the Sacred Heart chaplet I found in the Holy Redeemer Library in February of 2011, and I pray it every night. I found this "sister" rosary at the antique store.


I didn't get this rosary at the antique store, but in the Holy Redeemer library some time ago, and it looks just like the one the grad student had, even down to the lavender starting beads. If you look closely, this one is missing the Our Father bead between the decade that is red and white and the decade that is black and white. As far as I know, the grad student's rosary is not missing this bead.


These are the other two rosaries I bought at the antique store. The one on the left was the only one that cost more than $3, and it is our wedding color of coral, although it looks more orange in this photo. I realized I didn't have a rosary in our wedding color. The one on the right is a sweet little pink plastic rosary that may have been a little girl's First Communion gift, and I was intrigued by the centerpiece.


The bishop has removed the obligation from Mass in our diocese, but at least we still are having Mass - in places like Seattle and Boston, they aren't having them at all! I planned to go this morning; I slept late, and Michaela got me up, but then she wanted to go on a very long walk. I heard what I am sure were whooping cranes nearby, besides the sandhill cranes sounding off as usual. I wasn't going to wake Travalon up, but he got up and we went to Mass late, but just in time for me to sing with the choir. Afterwards we went to brunch at Tutto Pasta with Rich and the other bass, and we talked to the owner about how hard this whole virus thing is on small businesses and people who work for hourly wages. Then I suggested to Travalon that we take Michaela and go to Horicon Marsh. We went to one part and walked on the boardwalk, then we went to a second part he had never been to, and some people told us that three whooping cranes had been spotted there earlier, but none of us saw anything but some Canada geese. Then we went to a third part and took a three-mile walk around part of the marsh, and we saw lots of geese and sandhill cranes. We also saw these two swans.


So it was a wonderful weekend... and then when we got home, my boss texted to say don't come to work. I'm going to have to try working on this slow, old computer. It ought to be interesting...

Famous Hat

No comments: