Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Online Auction Excitement

 

As I mentioned in a previous post, Travalon told me an antiques store in town was selling two rosaries via online auction Sunday evening, so I figured out the website, bid on the two rosaries and a couple other cheap items, and was pleased to see that I won them all. I got a bill via email, so I paid it immediately... and then I didn't hear anything about how to acquire my new possessions. Was I supposed to pick them up at the shop? Would they be mailed to me? So I sent an email to the proprietor on Monday asking what the next step was, and yesterday when we were out and about, he replied that he had no record of me. What?!? He was able to find me well enough to charge me for the items!! Of course I didn't get the email until late in the evening yesterday, so there was nothing I could do. He said he looked under my married name and the name "White," which is apparently something I had as a fake name for my email which I thought I had changed eons ago, but it still keeps popping up. Oddly, he didn't look under my maiden name, which seems really lazy because I signed my email with both names - as in fact, my legal name is [Maiden Name Married Name]. When I emailed back a suggestion that he try that name, then he found it right away. This morning Travalon went to pick up the stuff while I was working, and when he came back after doing Door Dash and hiking, he brought the box of stuff in the house and I looked at it. The rosaries were lovely, but one is in a really cheesy box. The two glass fish were as pretty as advertised. What made me laugh was the teapot in the shape of a club from a deck of cards, because it would serve maybe one cup of tea - it's tiny!! No wonder it was only $2. From the box it came in, I guess that bridge players would serve tea to each player in her own teapot, one for each suit of cards. That would be adorable, but I didn't see the others for sale in the auction, and I don't play bridge. (True story: Tiffy's parents tried to teach the two of us, but we weren't adept students.) The game I really like is Sheepshead, but that takes five players, and there aren't five suits, so there you go. Though it would work for Hearts or Euchre, two other games I do know how to play. The question is: do I know three other people who also like to play them? I will post photos of all these objects soon, as well as some sunset photos that Travalon took on his walk at Governor's Island today, and (if I ever get around to it) myself modeling the Ice Cube T-shirt.


Famous Hat


No comments: