Tuesday, December 8, 2020

What Were You Expecting?

 

Ever since I started that Mount Fuji Challenge, I have been getting ads for doing all sorts of athletic challenges. I keep expecting the Conquerer website to send me ads to do another challenge using their app, since they have other ones like Hadrian's Wall, the Camino, and the Ring of Kerry. I was imagining these people saying, "This woman is a machine! She finished the two-month challenge in a week!" And they would not be the first person to tell me, "You're a machine!" The neighbor I always walk with called me a machine the other day, and I distinctly remember a personal trainer telling me that years ago. It's just that I don't really look like a machine, unless it was an old washing machine that is falling apart. I imagine these people thinking I must look so fit, and then they would see me... and here I am, all fat and roly-poly. I kind of thought the same thing when that choir performed the piece I wrote the words to just over a year ago. The choir director mentioned that "we have the poet with us today," and everyone turned to look at me, probably expecting a dour, emaciated person in a black turtleneck. Instead, there I was waving at them, all jolly and round and dressed in bright colors. They did look a little startled. I'm never what they were expecting. It's like when Handy Woman gave me that chocolate male body part for my wedding shower present, and then one day when nobody else was around at work she and I cut into it, expecting it to be solid chocolate... and it was hollow! When I mentioned it to another coworker, she said, "They're never quite what you expect." Well, neither am I!


Famous Hat


No comments: