Tuesday, June 27, 2023

Ice Cream Social and Chancellor's Indoor Picnic

 

Today was a much better day than yesterday. The condo board got enough votes to go ahead with the siding and roofing project, and only my most easygoing coworker and I were in the office. He used to ride the bus with my colleague, and of course I am still in close contact with her, so the three of us met up at the ice cream social this afternoon, got free orange custard chocolate chip ice cream, and talked. The other two had not tried that flavor before, but they both liked it. (My colleague loves Blue Moon, but they didn't seem to have that flavor today.) It was such a warm, I guess collegial, feeling hanging out with them, maybe not quite love, but very strong like. So the workday was wonderful.

Then in the evening I walked to the Chancellor's house for a shared governance leadership picnic, only due to the air quality, the "picnic" was moved inside. Also, they have closed the pedestrian overpass over Campus Drive but gave no warning until you actually get to it, so then I had to double back to where I could actually cross University Avenue. Still, I wasn't too late, and it was the cocktail hour anyway, so who cares when you get there? Travalon arrived not long after they started serving the actual food, and we sat with a delightful couple. We thought it was so funny that when the berry parfaits were handed out for dessert, the wife picked off all the mint leaves because she objected to "green stuff" on her dessert. "I don't want lettuce on my dessert!" she said. She even picked it off her husband's parfait too, while he was off talking to someone else. Then the Chancellor came over and wanted a selfie with both of them, so the husband asked her to text the photo to him, and his wife said, "Oh, you're going to regret giving him your number!" The Chancellor said she could airdrop the photos, but the guy didn't have an iPhone, so she did have to text them to him, after all. Maybe she should have emailed them... I think this guy is planning to retire soon and looking for a replacement to badger the upper administration about the needs of the little people on campus, and I kind of think he's grooming me for that position. I'm not sure how good I am at speaking truth to power, but I guess we'll find out... If I see injustice, it's hard to shut me up!


Famous Hat


No comments: