Monday, June 5, 2023

Saturday Night Excitement in the Neighborhood

 

Today I saw an awesome quote in the Comments section of an article on the Washington Post: "Live your lives such that if someone made a book out of them, the book would be banned in Florida." It was a pretty quiet day otherwise, because I worked from home. My neighbor and I did take some photos in the neighborhood. First, are these flowers, or is this a bird looking at me??


This is a mock orange. It smells so good!


Here is a pair of cranes with two babies.



The pair with one baby now has no baby. My neighbor has a theory about that, because we saw the baby Saturday morning, but today it was gone: on Saturday at 1:30 am, there were sirens in our neighborhood. (She heard them, but I slept right through them after my exciting day in Port Washington.) Another neighbor told us it was the cops chasing a guy who drove into our dead-end road - oops! Sucks to be him! He got out and ran, but they caught him. This other neighbor slept through it too, but she said the brother of the famous late comedian heard dogs and saw flashlights behind their houses, so we think all the excitement could have flushed the baby crane out of the safety of the marsh... and straight into the path of a speeding cop car. The timing makes sense for this. 

While I didn't hear the sirens on Saturday night, last night I heard a very long train around 3:30 am. It woke me up, but I wasn't mad because I love trains; I just rolled over and went back to sleep, very happy. Of course, in India they had a very bad train accident, so they aren't always safe. And then there was the plane flying over DC with the unresponsive pilot. When they sent the fighter pilots up at top speed to try to intercept it, they broke the sound barrier, so there was a giant BOOM over DC. That must have been freaky to hear!

This evening Travalon and I sat on the dock. The sunset looked hazy because of all the smoke from the forest fires up in Canada.


I can tell this smoke is really bothering me because when it was so hot and we had the AC on, my eyes weren't watery, but as soon as we were able to open the windows, my eyes started watering. Oddly, I didn't have a problem being outside all day in Port Washington, but they had a lot of breeze to blow the smoke away. I did forget to mention the stunning moonrise we saw on our way back from Port Washington. It was too hard to get a photo of it from the car, but it was glorious. The moon looked like a giant gold coin low in the sky.


Famous Hat


No comments: