Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Squeaky's Back!

 

I meant to get our hummingbird feeder up last Thursday, and then Friday morning I saw Squeaky the Hummingbird flying around, looking for it. At least she didn't sit on the railing and glare at me like last year. I put it up, and she makes these squeaky sounds when she drinks out of it. To our human ears, it sounds very happy and cute, like she's saying, "I LOVE nectar!" But really, knowing her bossy personality (I've seen her chase away another hummingbird and even a wasp), I'm wondering if she's really saying, "Back off, beeyotches - it's all MINE!" We just think little things are cute, even if to other small things they are total Karens. According to scientists, elephants have the same reaction to us - they think humans are TOTES ADORBS. But in my case, I'm only partly adorbs.

Yesterday and today I was on campus because I had to participate in interviews. They were over the lunch hour, which bummed me out, but then I got an email: "Choose your lunch." Whoa, free lunch?!? So I did, and yesterday I got there way early because I'm not quite as slow as I think, and there was my lunch so I ate half of it before the others got there. (It was so big that I had to take the other half with me, but everyone else ate their whole lunch, and they're all thinner! What???) Today I got there early again, and I had chosen an Italian sandwich, but there were no Italian sandwiches, there were only ham sandwiches and tofu sandwiches. Since half the sandwiches were tofu but I doubted that half of us were vegetarians, judging by our lunches yesterday, I took one for the team and took a tofu sandwich. It wasn't that good. I do like participating in the interview process because it makes me feel kind of important, like I'm representing all the hourly employees with my presence, asking questions, and people care about my opinions. Plus, FREE LUNCH.

I love how the university landscapers plant trees and shrubs that flower in succession. First the magnolias, then the crabapples, then the lilacs, then the honey locusts, and now the Japanese lilac trees. They all smell so good! Right now should also be prime time for the tulip trees, which don't have a scent that I have noticed. Yesterday when I went to pick up my complimentary Forward tickets, I stopped to see the tulip trees by the math building, and they were covered in blossoms, but a lot were past their prime.


Is this because of the drought we're having? 

Time for some DuoLingo bragging!

The big excitement today was that, as I was going home, there was a lot of traffic around Warner Park for the Mallards game. Some pedestrians crossed the road in front of me, including a big black dog, then I turned the corner... and there was a cop pulling me over. I had no idea why, and he asked if I'd seen the pedestrian in the crosswalk. I said I'd seen a bunch of them, but he claims there was some other one in the crosswalk but that I just drove by them. He said this guy was wearing a red shirt and an orange backpack, so he sounds hard to miss, but I don't remember seeing anyone like that. The cop just gave me a warning, but he did say I was driving around with a license that expired on my last birthday. I was shocked: "Don't they send you a reminder?" and he said they probably did. So now I have to get a new license ASAP. At least the cop was nice to me. I haven't been pulled over in years, but the last one was a jerk. He was the only one who ever gave me a ticket. Hopefully it is many years before I next get pulled over!


Famous Hat


No comments: