Sunday, May 30, 2010

Famous Hat at Brat Fest

Yesterday I asked Hardingfele if she and Rockstar Tailor wanted to go to the Farmer's Market, and she suggested we walk, which in theory was a really good idea since it is about three miles round trip. In practice, since it was about 115 F and 238% humidity (or at least that's how it felt), Tailor and I thought we were going to melt, but Hardingfele (in her usual sympathetic manner) called us both wusses. We did manage to survive, and after only five gallons of water and six hours of rest, I was ready to brave Brat Fest.

Brat Fest is a very large festival in which people eat brats and drink beer and stand around right in my way when they are not bumping into me. There are a number of stages about twenty feet apart, each one with a very loud band on it, and Hardingfele's husband played guitar on one of them so we watched him for a little bit. Someone sitting at our table knocked over a beer, so Hardingfele cupped her hands, caught the beer running off the edge of the table, and drank it.

"See?" she crowed. "I got my beer!"

I did what I came to do, which was eat a brat and have some Brat Fest ice cream, which is bright yellow and red colored and cookie dough flavored. A guy I work with said his band was playing, and I saw them, but someone else was drumming for them. Hmm... Rockstar Tailor wanted to go on some rides, but by then Richard Bonomo had joined us and he had no interest in rides, so we headed back, picked up Kathbert, and blatted for awhile at Rich's house. Then I went home and read a very dangerous book recommended by Banjo Player: The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Warning: This book may cause you to literally stay up all night reading.

Since I never went to sleep, I didn't have to get up for Mass - I just went. After brunch with the choir, I came home and napped until having dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Jilly Moose and OK Cap, who both asked for the address to this blog so maybe they are reading it. If you are, hello, ladies! Now I am at Rich's house blogging while he and Kathbert are talking. Tomorrow they are going to take a long bike trip to Mount Horrible (which lives up to its name), but I am going to wimp out and go kayaking instead.

Famous Hat

No comments: