Monday, June 28, 2021

Blacklight Posters

 

This was an interesting day for a Monday. When my neighbor and I went for a walk before work, the cranes stepped in front of us, so we waited for them to cross, but they didn't. We finally turned and went back the other way. Then at noon we were going to help another neighbor paint our dock furniture, but when we got there, he was already done - he had started an hour earlier and just done it himself! My neighbor said, "Hey, now we get all the credit for volunteering without having to do any work!" Then the mail came, and there were two packages for me! And I knew what they were.

A couple of weeks ago I was thinking of this wastebasket we had back in the 70's, when I was a little kid, that had brightly colored images of the signs of the zodiac on it. I did a Google search and found an image of the exact wastebasket, but it was an antique that had already been sold. Bummer! I looked further down the search to see if there was another one for sale, and I found a poster of the signs of the zodiac that would glow under blacklight. That would be perfect for someone with a blacklight, and know who has one? I do! So I ordered it... and they never sent me a confirmation that it had shipped. Finally they sent an email saying it had been delayed, did I want to continue to wait or did I want a refund? I replied that I was willing to wait a week or two, but if they couldn't get it, then please refund me. Their email had a link to their store, and I found an even trippier 70's style blacklight poster, so I ordered that one too. It shipped immediately... and then the other one shipped, so they arrived on the same day - today!!

Here is the first one I ordered. Notice that Capricorn is on top, just the way it should be.



This is the second one I ordered. Isn't it beautiful?




I remember people used to have posters like this of Led Zeppelin in the dorms when I was in college in the early 90's, but I have no idea if college kids nowadays have blacklight posters. True story: as a child I got a box of neon-colored crayons for Christmas one year, and the box proclaimed: "Glows under blacklight!" Since I had no idea what a blacklight was, I assumed logically that one could color a regular lightbulb black with a permanent marker, and this would work. I don't remember actually doing this - perhaps an adult talked me out of it, but I remember being very disappointed that there was no way to get my crayons to glow. I wonder if they still sell those crayons? Because now I have a real blacklight, and not just a lightbulb colored black.



Famous Hat


No comments: