Monday, June 14, 2021

Tough Audience for Tennis

 

Like most people, I enjoy things I am good at (like music) and tend to avoid things I'm not good at (like softball), but tennis is the exception. Tennis is one of those sweet mysteries of life - how can I love something I'm so atrocious at? Tonight Travalon and I played for the first time this season, and oh was I rusty! Plus we only had bounceless balls, so we had to beg some goods ones off our neighbor who is actually a competitive tennis player. Then we were doing a little better, but Travalon hit a home run (wrong sport!) that sailed over the fence and landed in a neighbor's yard, and I searched for it in vain. Then the friendly local dinosaurs sauntered by and watched us with their beady red eyes, and I couldn't help thinking they were critiquing us. They tried to figure out how to get on the court, but as far as I know, there is a no-crane policy on our tennis court, and fortunately they don't have opposable thumbs. Eventually they wandered off. They didn't have a baby with them, and I thought at first it was Bob and Hitachi and they have lost their second baby, but they looked a little different so I actually think it was the pair that lives right behind us. Maybe I should call them Bob and Hitachi, because it turns out our neighbors have all been calling the original pair Frasier and Lilith, like the TV show. My coworker suggested calling the baby Ukraine, which I thought was pretty clever, but then he also suggested Cranium, which is too metal for a hippie chick like me. There is still one more pair and their baby to name, so feel free to suggest something in the comments. Maybe I should make this another blog contest so that Kathbert can win it, as usual.


Famous Hat


No comments: