Tuesday, June 8, 2021

Our First Post-Pandemic Mallards Game

 

Yesterday the weather said it was going to be overcast, so I took two hours off in the afternoon to garden. As soon as I got to my plot, I saw a huge storm cloud coming toward me with lightning flickering in it. I planted my five pepper plants very quickly and then was too scared to even water them in, but it looked like they would get rained on any moment. I ran to my car, and it did sprinkle a tiny bit on the way home... but the storm never arrived. My phone then said there would be thunderstorms until six, but Travalon wasn't getting home until seven, so I figured I could plant my seeds quickly before he got home... and then not long after four he sent a message that he was on his way home. We did stop to water my garden before the Mallards game, and the weather was perfect all evening, but the Mallards sure weren't. They lost to the Traverse City Pit Spitters, 13-4, and all four of those runs were in the third inning. (The Pit Spitters got five runs in the first inning alone!) At one point a foul ball hit a guy behind us on the head and bounced off, and someone else caught it, but instead of giving it to that poor guy, they threw it to some random kid. I give up on humanity. At least there was a beautiful sunset, and interestingly it was more beautiful in the east, where it was reflecting off the clouds.


It kept getting more intense.


We had a good time anyway!



Here is the Pit Spitters' bus.


And here is the newly unveiled version of Maynard the Mallard.



Travalon went to the gift shop and said there was a tie-dyed shirt there, so I got it. Here's a selfie of me wearing it and just being a total hippie chick, which Travalon likes better than my other summer aesthetic, Coconut Girl.


Bob Crane and Hitachi Crane are now down to one little one.


Yesterday as my neighbor and I were out walking, we saw Bob and Hitachi and the little one walking across the road. Suddenly an SUV sped down the road, and we tried to signal her to slow down, but she ignored us and almost hit the baby. Bob got mad and attacked the SUV, and then when she turned around and came back, he attacked it again. I don't blame him!

One other crane pair seems to have lost their babies one Thursday night when we heard them hollering at 11 pm, and we also heard a coyote. So scary! The other pair has a much younger baby.

I don't know the story here, but Kathbert emailed me this photo, and Rich said I could use it on the blog. Yes, he is wearing a garden hose as a hat. That's the what. The why he will have to answer himself, maybe in the comments.


Tonight at Adoration I saw these fascinating flower arrangements that looked like powder puffs on either side of the altar.



And here's a view of the whole altar area.


Is it actually an altar? Because the sacrifice of the Mass is not offered on this particular table, but it is holding the product of that sacrifice, the Blessed Sacrament. So I'm not 100% sure about terminology here. Again, maybe Richard Bonomo can enlighten us in the comments. 


Famous Hat


No comments: