Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Yet Another Bus Adventure

 

Today I took the bus to work, and that was way more exciting than it needed to be. The road to the transfer point is closed for road construction, which I didn't know until I tried to turn onto it and a guy holding a stop sign blocked me. People were honking at me as I asked him how to get to the transfer point, and he said there was a detour, so I turned around and found my way to the other end of the short road. Then the bus came, but it didn't slow down - it drove right by the stop! I almost had a heart attack, thinking the next bus wasn't coming for an hour and totally forgetting I could just get back in my car and park on campus with my new flex parking pass. Someone else said, "Don't worry - he's just turning around," and then I saw that the bus was coming back - he had been facing the wrong way because of the road construction.

Toward the end of my workday, I tried my new internet camera. My boss had said you just plug it into the port on the computer, and it's good to go. So I tried to do a video chat with my colleague, but it said my camera was off. So I went into settings, and it said it was attached and working properly. So how did I turn it on?? I sent a frantic email to IT, and posted on our work chat, and then my boss explained that I have to turn it on within whatever app I'm using, so she and I had a short, successful video chat.

Speaking of videos, I enjoy watching Doja Cat videos because they're sexy and I'm a Bad Catholic. She has one for her new song, "Kiss Me More," that features an actor named Alex Landi. Wikipedia says he is 50% Korean and 50% Italian. Famous Hat says he is 100% smokin' hot!!

Then I walked to band practice, but only one fiddler and our guitarist were there. Our accordion player and another fiddler were busy, and at first Hardingfele said she didn't want to come because we don't have any gigs scheduled, but then she said she has a grant due tomorrow, so that's a legit excuse. The three of us who showed up tried some new music from a band that played international folk music, but all the members have now passed on, so the daughter of one of them gave our guitarist a bunch of her mother's sheet music. Some didn't have chords, so we had fun figuring them out - it's folk music, so it's not rocket science. I played melody and/or harmony, since we only had one melody instrument. We played a couple of songs from Latin America that made me nostalgic for the little mariachi band I used to be in that accompanied the Diocesan Hispanic Choir. Of course, in my dreams I play in a salsa band, although I would also accept joining an Earth, Wind, and Fire cover band. In this dream, every month is May. Bonus: I don't have to have any more birthdays, unless I become a Taurus. Too bad this dream didn't come true when I was twenty-four.


Famous Hat


No comments: