Thursday, June 24, 2021

Night Prayer Birthday Party

 

Last night when I was coming home, there was a beautiful, almost-full moon, and also a bright star just ahead of me. I assumed it was a planet and asked Rich what planet it was, and he thought it might have actually been a conjunction of Venus and Mars. The moon is a strawberry super moon. Travalon got some photos of it on Tuesday night, and the spectacular sunset.






And here are some photos he took of the sunset last Friday.




These lilies blooming in front of our building are such a vibrant color.


My aunt and uncle out on Colorado saw a hot air balloon. I used to see them all summer long, flying overhead, but I haven't seen one around here in years. We did see one as we were driving from Dubuque to Galena, but it was too far away to get a good photo.


My neighbor and I walk out to this penny almost every day. It's really stuck in the road.


This evening we had a birthday party for one of the regulars from our Night Prayer group. I took a picture of the present I gave her.


Inside is a little canvas for painting a picture, since she loves to paint. I didn't tell her this, but I would love it if she painted a picture for me. Most of our regulars from Night Prayer were at this party, and her roommates, and some other people I didn't know. Her parents were there too. She turned twenty-eight today, and we were each supposed to say how long we'd known her and where from, and her father said, "I met her twenty-eight years ago today." Her parents are from Chicago, and they told Travalon and me that they are White Sox fans, but their sons all rebelled and became Cubs fans. I don't know if the birthday girl herself has much interest in sports. Everyone else seemed to give her flowers or plants, so maybe she loves botanical things - I only knew about her interest in art. Rich made his famous Black Magic cake, which was a big hit, and the host had berries he had picked that day for us to put over our cake and ice cream. His wife asked me how our gig had gone, so I told her about the guy who said I had inspired him to learn the mandolin, and the klezmer band that played on a pontoon boat. Isn't summer wonderful? Isn't the birthday girl lucky to have a birthday this time of year? Not that I'm jealous or anything, having mine in the dead of winter and right after Christmas. I'm going to have a big birthday right at the start of next year, but how can anyone plan a party for me if they don't even know if they'll be snowed in that day? That's okay, soon it will be my half-birthday, and then I'll celebrate by going to a trolley museum in Illinois. It's on a Saturday this year.


Famous Hat


No comments: