Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Parking on Campus

 

Today I had to go to the Killer Building again, and this time I had to drive, because Travalon has a different work schedule this week, and he couldn't drop me off or pick me up. Now I can take the bus to work, but it doesn't go anywhere near my bandmate's house, so getting home from band practice would be tough. My colleague told me I should get a flex parking pass, since there is no charge to have one - you only get charged when you use it. So last week I picked it up, and then yesterday I tried to download the app... but my phone is too old so it wouldn't work. This morning I tried to type in the website on their paper instructions that had detailed instructions for using the parking website.. and the link didn't work. So I called the parking office, and someone emailed me the instructions... and then the parking website didn't look anything like what the instructions said it would. So I called the parking company... and they said to call "the number for my area," but I had no idea where to find that. Finally I got a hold of the woman in charge of flex parking, and she said it's true, nothing works, because things have recently changed so they're all being updated. I shared my screen with her, and she walked me through it. I located the parking lot with a minimum of difficulty, found a parking spot in the shade, and went to work. At least at that point it went smoothly, because I was charged the correct amount and did not get a ticket.

At work I had to take a check to the building where central accounting is, and I forgot how far distances are on campus. I walked all the way there, and the building was closed to "the public," which apparently means university employees too. I had to call someone to pick up the check from me, but at least he was nice and let me powder my nose after that very long walk. I decided to take the campus bus back... but it was two minutes early, so I saw it pass right by just before I got to the stop, and in the summer the next one doesn't come for fifteen minutes, so by that time I could be back to the office if I walked. Oh, and there was construction everywhere so I had to keep taking detours and crossing the street. 

I drove to band practice, and my bandmate had set out chairs for us to sit outside, but the people across the street had contractors doing landscaping, and they didn't seem to be wrapping up for the day. There were lots of loud vehicles kicking up dust and moving rocks around and stuff, so we decided to move inside. Hardingfele joined us too, and the three of us moved everything inside... and then we waited for our leader, who plays the guitar. Finally we started playing, two fiddles and me trying to keep the rhythm on the chords, and then the guitarist showed up a half hour late and said our rhythm wasn't good. I guess that's on me. She was half an hour late because she thought we were starting half an hour later, although we have been starting at 5:00 since we began practicing in person again. She brought lettuce from her garden for all of us, so Hardingfele, who was the maddest at her, quickly forgave her. Anyway, hopefully these contractors are done with their landscaping before Monday, when we have our gig. Otherwise I have no idea what we will do.


Famous Hat


No comments: