Monday, January 16, 2023

I'd Rather Be Woke

 

Today Travalon and I had the day off of work. It was supposed to rain all day, so he suggested we go to Waukesha to check out one or both antiques malls. We started at the one that is downtown, and I found three beautiful rosaries.


I also bought two cheap pieces of St. Patrick's Day jewelry and a Valentine's Day bear.


We had lunch at a nearby diner, then we stopped into a resale shop, and I bought these two necklaces with Celtic designs.


Then we went to the antiques mall on the east side of Waukesha, and I found several rosaries, but things there seemed to be somewhat overpriced. I did buy the rosary on the right, and then the proprietress said one of their dealers is in hospice now that he's 90, but he's been a dealer for 70 years. She said he liked to make rosaries and give them away to people, so she showed me a jar full of rosaries he had made, and I picked out the one on the left. I love getting free rosaries like that, like back when the monks sent me a free Christmas rosary in 2010 because I had bought so many rosaries from them that year.


We went for a hike at Lapham's Peak, although it was cold and wet, and then we hurried back to town for a Martin Luther King Day event at the Overture Center. It started with a gospel singalong in the lobby, and I took this photo there.


Then there was a program in the Capitol Theatre with a big gospel choir and lots of speakers. The keynote speaker was Reverend Ralph Abernathy's daughter, who told a funny story about a girl telling her father in college that she was too sick with a cold to go on a date with him, so he went to the event alone... and saw her with Dr. King. The two men became good friends and both dumped the girl to happily marry other women, and of course they worked together to fight racism. The talk was very entertaining but quite long, so it was after eight when we got done. We grabbed some pizza from Ian's, and they were out of sauce for our breadsticks, so they gave us a coupon for a free slice. Then we hurried home, and there was a package for Travalon. He wondered if it was already the Merlin bear he had just ordered, but it was the Snuffleupagus he had ordered on a whim while we were at Octopi. 


Isn't it cute?? We thought it was so cute when he stumbled across it while he was looking for Snuffy Smith, and that's why he ordered it. 

The program tonight was the exact opposite world view of a very strange theologian I came across online, who says that God is the ultimate capitalist and would rather see us burn in Hell than help us, and that we are being unbiblical if we say we should help others. If that is the opposite of "woke" - and I suspect it is - then I would so much rather be "woke." It seems much closer to the actual teachings of Jesus to care about others and consider everyone as equal, so woke. I mean, what's the opposite of woke, in a coma? I'd definitely say I've come across people who are in a spiritual coma, and they all act like "woke" is a dirty word. I know which side I want to be found on when Jesus returns.

Edited to note that while I was writing this blog post, Travalon discovered Baby Yoda (you know, the one the rest of us have known about for like three years), and now he can't stop watching him. Baby Yoda is awfully cute, I'll grant you that. Any day now I'm expecting a package in the mail containing a stuffed Baby Yoda.


Famous Hat


2 comments:

Richard Bonomo said...

Well, "Famous" there are many strange theologians around.

No, "Woke" is not the opposite of the strange prosperity "theologian" that you ran across.

In fact, "woke-ism" and prosperity theology have something vaguely in common. Neither is sane. Neither is charitable.

"Woke-ism" is a name that has been assigned to one of the politcal-philosophical movements associated with neo-Marxism and Critical Theory. The object is divide people from each other, get people angry at each other, and help destabilize society that way, and denigrate the very concept of objective truth. The Marxists could not achieve their objective in the West via economic jealousy, so they branched out into other strategies.

It is not compatible with Christianity, just as prosperity theology is not.

The opposite of both is orthodox Christianity, which is built on the Incarnation, and the love of God and our fellow man -- not hatred, not even hatred disguised as "social justice" (yes, there is real social justice, too) and victim politics.

Famous Hat said...

I think what you are calling "economic jealousy" is what I would call reasonable anger at our inherently unjust system. If you read about why Walmart failed in Germany, you will see that the Germans are far more sane than we are when it comes to economic justice. For an excellent illustration of just how unfair our system is, see this: https://mkorostoff.github.io/1-pixel-wealth/