Monday, January 9, 2023

Random Birthday Thoughts

 

Today was a very quiet day, although the sun art is back, since it was sunny out. It's something to look forward to in mid-January, anyway. I heard a couple of random things on the radio on my actual birthday, since I had to drive that day. First, in the early evening they have "Not Headline News" on the hip-hop station I listen to, and it's always a sentence or two about a story in the news with a snarky retort. They have never mentioned celebrity birthdays before, but on my birthday they did - they said, "Today is Mel Gibson's birthday... he's expecting a dinner invitation from Trump!" and, "Today is J.R.R. Tolkien's birthday. He was the original George R.R. Martin. But unlike George, he could finish a book!" 

Then the late night DJs always talk about random things, and that night they were talking about a girl they knew who met a guy she really hit it off with, but then she said she couldn't keep seeing him because they were incompatible signs. The DJs were mocking her, and they wanted people to call in, so I was sorely tempted to say forget about that, I'm a Capricorn happily married to a Sagittarius. Some girl called in who was a Leo who would only date Sagittarii, and they asked if she was single, so she said, "I'm working on me right now." The DJs felt this proved their hypothesis that women who care about astrology end up with cats. 

When Travalon and I were at the mall yesterday, he wanted to go to the bookstore, so I was looking at a book about relational astrology, and as always it says Travalon and I would be a challenging match. I don't feel like we are at all, so either you can't base anything on that, or my Capricorn Sun goes with his Cancer Moon, and his Sagittarius Sun goes with my Leo Moon. I do know from when I worked at a place dealing with state retirees, an awful lot of people married someone whose birthday was about a month away from theirs, so they all should have been terrible matches, astrologically speaking. Maybe people born in the same season are compatible, like Travalon and I both know the anguish of winter birthdays. That is a suffering someone like the Dairyman's Daughter will never know, since her birthday is right in the middle of the summer so she can have big outdoor parties. Even Tiffy can usually do things outdoors for her birthday, although in September it sometimes does rain. I remember once treating her to a Betty Lou Cruise on a very rainy day. Still, it seems unlikely she would have a birthday party canceled due to a snow storm, like I have. (Actually, it wasn't canceled completely, because Kathbert and Mr. Icon both managed to make it to Rich's house, but I couldn't, so there was a birthday party without the birthday girl. Fortunately Tiffy was staying at my place, so I wasn't snowed in alone on my birthday.)

Here are some recent photos. First, our church was still decorated for Christmas yesterday.


This is the Irish teddy bear Travalon got at the Oconomowoc Antiques Mall, to go with my French teddy bear. Unlike the French one, which is supposed to be a girl but is kind of wearing traditional male garb, this one is wearing very traditional female clothes.
 

And once again, some DuoLingo bragging:


One thing about my birthday that was kind of cool was that I wrote in Mariah, my diary, and it was the last entry in Mariah Fifty-One on my fifty-first birthday. I love how that worked out!


Famous Hat


No comments: