Thursday, January 26, 2023

What's Your Sign? In a Meeting

 

All of a sudden, this week it has still been light out when I left work. I can see what's outside the windows for half my bus trip home, but then the second half is dark. It must be getting lighter in the mornings too, because it isn't as hard to get up. Soon it will be that wonderful time before the scourge of Daylight Saving Time, when the morning sun wakes me up. When I was younger, that abomination didn't start until April, when it at least started to make some sense - by May the sun is coming up around five even in "fake time" - but at some point they moved it back to March, which is way too early. I look forward to the day when it doesn't happen at all, and our sundials are correct all year long.

The one goofy thing that happened today was after I had been in online meetings all afternoon, and I went to take a short walk. We have these signs with velcro on them so we can stick them to our office doors, and they say "At lunch," "On vacation," "Working remotely," and, "In a meeting." I must have tossed the "In a meeting" one back on the table with the velcro side up. Anyway, I got into my coat and hat and waited for the elevator with a couple of grad students. One of them said, "What's on your hat?" and I wondered if she noticed the bit of dirt on it that I keep meaning to clean off. I had thought there was too little to notice, but I said, "Is it dirt?" and she said, "No, it's a sign," so I pulled off my "In a meeting" sign. We were all laughing about that when the chair happened by, so she asked what was going on. I demonstrated how the sign had been stuck to my wool hat, and she took a photo with her phone. She said that she would send it to me, but I think she forgot, so I'm sorry to say that I can't share it with you. Maybe  in some future blog post I will feature this lovely photo. (She did show it to me.) So that's my sign: "In a meeting." At least for today.


Famous Hat


No comments: