Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Back to Work... from Home

 

Today I eased back into work. I worked from home and it wasn't too crazy of a day, although I did have to order books from a website all in a language I don't know at all. Fortunately it's one of those Nordic languages that sometimes almost looks like English, and Google Translate is also a big help, but at one point I accidentally emptied my shopping cart and had to start over. Oops! Also, I apparently already had a password on this site, but I hadn't written it down anywhere, so I had to change it. 

At lunch I went for a walk and saw a flock of swans fly overhead, whooping with what sounded like delight. I counted them, and there were exactly thirty. Then a smaller flock of seven flew overhead.

I was afraid I'd be bummed out by how quiet my church would be tonight during my adoration hour, since there isn't the bustle there always used to be with Spanish Mass in the evening, but there were a lot of people at adoration for some reason, so it didn't feel lonely at all.

I forgot to mention that on Christmas Day, someone said "cassata" means "marriage," and someone else asked why I always made a Sicilian wedding cake for Christmas, so I said, "Because... it's the marriage of Heaven and Earth!" They all said, "Whoa!! That's DEEP!" and Cecil Markovitch asked if I just thought of that right then, so I said, ".... maybe." Because yes, yes I did just think of it right then. Usually I can't come up with a good retort on the spot but only hours later, as I lay awake trying to get to sleep. Honestly, I just made a cassata for Christmas one year because Ma Hat always makes them for Christmas, and then once everyone tasted it, that was it - I had to make it every year. I'm not sure where she got the recipe, since we aren't Sicilian, unlike Rich, who is half Sicilian. His lasagna and eggplant parmesan taste like Pa Hat's, and Pa Hat learned to cook in a monastery from an actual Sicilian. So we have a very Sicilian Christmas dinner at Richard Bonomo's house, which only seems appropriate. Or at least we have very Sicilian food, since I have no idea what actual Sicilians in Sicily eat for Christmas dinner. I have heard that some Italians have the Feast of Seven Fishes on Christmas Eve, but that might not be in Sicily, and it's not Christmas Day. Someday I'd love to do the Feast of the Seven Fishes at Rich's house, but Travalon and I have come up with our own tradition of eating Indian food on Christmas Eve, and there's nothing wrong with a little tikka masala for the holidays.


Famous Hat


No comments: