Monday, January 1, 2024

Happy 2024!

 

We had a very relaxing morning, since there was no obligation today so we didn't have to go to Mass. We took a walk outside, and lots of swans flew overhead, going "Woo! Woo!" We watched the Badgers in the Something Quest Bowl, and at first they were two touchdowns ahead of LSU, but in the end they did lose by four points because the defense couldn't stop them in the second half. What a bummer, but at least they didn't get steamrolled like I was afraid they would. In fact, at first I was scared to watch until realizing that they were doing so well.

In the late afternoon we went to my OTHER choir director's apartment for his usual New Year's Day Dessert Extravaganza, and at first we didn't know anyone there but the host. We started talking to a woman who had lived in the Czech Republic for years, and I also talked to an organist I've known for years, but I didn't really get a chance to talk to the choir director at the church in the gym, which was a letdown because I've been thinking of joining them. My OTHER choir director says do it. I've been reluctant to choose a new parish home, hoping Masses will again be said at my church, but how long should I wait for that to happen? 

On the way home we passed the original house in town with the light show synchronized to music. Here are some photos.





I was happy to get to see it this year. I've heard some of the other houses like this also do things for Halloween, so we'll have to keep that in mind next October. That's a month when we're more focused on hiking on the Ice Age Trail than looking at lights, so I'll probably forget by then.

When we got home, Travalon turned on the Rose Bowl, where Michigan and Alabama were tied. First of all, I don't think Alabama (with one loss) should have gotten in over Florida State (with no losses), and secondly I'm just sick of the Crimson Tide, so I started to get into the game despite myself. It went into overtime and Michigan scored a touchdown, then Bama was in the Red Zone... but Michigan stopped them!!! I went to the Wikipedia page for Michigan's quarterback and found something hilarious:


I told Travalon, "I have to get a screenshot - someone will 'fix' this in about five minutes," and indeed, when I went back to the page, there was no sign of "AKA Alabama's Daddy" on there. Some Michigan fan (or just Roll Tide Hater) must have done it. The thing is, anyone can edit a Wikipedia page, but then that means anyone can correct the edits. People used to joke about how inaccurate Wikipedia was, but in my experience, anything fake gets edited immediately. That's why I had to get the screen shot as soon as I saw this edit, because there was no way it was going to last. Anyway, now you can enjoy it.


Famous Hat

No comments: