Sunday, January 7, 2024

The Packers Made the Playoffs!

 

Today Travalon and I drove to Oconomowoc for a birthday party for his mother, who will be 98 on Thursday. All three of his brothers were there, and two of my sisters-in-law. One is expecting a baby next month, and it was their seven-year anniversary today. I remember their wedding day: it was bitterly cold, and the church seemed familiar because it turned out my band had played for a wedding there many years earlier, I think well before I started keeping this blog. You could see Holy Hill from their church. After the party, Travalon and I went to Mass for Epiphany up at Holy Hill, and it was very long. Especially the homily, but I didn't care about that since I may or may not have been enjoying a refreshing nap at that point. The music and the decorations were very beautiful. Afterwards I wanted to buy myself a rosary at the gift shop, and they had one which is a type I have been thinking about getting for a while, with the first decade having black beads, then each decade is a lighter shade of gray until the last one, which is white. It is for praying for the souls in Purgatory, so after we grabbed a quick lunch at Rocky's, we prayed it for all the people we could think of offhand who have died. Of course we kept thinking of more people, so after every decade I would stop and say, "Who else?"

We got home just as the Packer game was starting. They were playing the Bears, the team they dominated in their first game this season, but the Bears have improved a lot. The game went very quickly, because there were only two penalties, and only one was enforced because the Packers declined the one against the Bears. At first the Bears got a field goal, then the Packers also had to settle for kicking a field goal... and they missed! So they were losing briefly. However, most of the game they seemed to be dominating offensively, but they were only up by eight points on their last drive. I thought they might want to score again, but they really chewed up a lot of clock, and then Aaron Jones had a run that got them a first down with like a minute and a half left, so at that point they just took a knee twice. This means the Packers have clinched a playoff berth, and they'll be playing the Cowboys (coached by their former coach McCarthy) down in Dallas. I don't expect big things from them in the playoffs, but I am so happy they made it during a rebuilding year, when the team is so young. They are the youngest team to make the playoffs since at least the 70's.

Fitz's on the Lake had sent me a text saying I could have half off my meal within seven days of my actual birthday, so we went there right after the game. We were singing songs about Jordan Love, the Packers' quarterback, like, "All you need is Love! (And Jones!)" and "Without Love, where would you be now, now now now? Not in the playoffs!" I am just so happy because I didn't want anyone to regret that we went with Jordan Love instead of Aaron Rodgers this year. When we got to Fitz's, it was still decorated beautifully for Christmas.


Santa Baby Yoda!




We were the only ones in there at that late hour. It's more of a summer place, but I'll bet there were people there during the game. The waitress and the bartender were both wearing Packer gear, as was I. 

On the way home, we took photos of some Christmas decorations that are still up.





Even this gas station has a Christmas tree!





It's always a little sad for me this time of year, when people start to take down their Christmas decorations. At this point the Twelve Days of Christmas are over, but I wish people would keep them up for the whole dark, dreary month of January. In some cultures, the Christmas season goes until Candlemas, which is on Groundhog's Day. Imagine how great it would be to have Christmas lights up until then!


Famous Hat

No comments: