Tuesday, January 30, 2024

Would You Say That to a Man?

 

Today was a frustrating day. I ran for like eight minutes but didn't get any credit for vigorous move minutes, and of course my phone cheated me one staircase, as it always does. I had something delivered to Ma Hat but the photo they sent me as proof of delivery didn't look like her place and she said she couldn't find it, so I was a bit panicked until she got a message that she had a package at the front office. Better yet, they gave a tracking number so I know it's the package from me. Then I sent out the Night Prayer invitation, but Rich said he didn't get it, and that it wasn't showing up on the group page, which is odd because it came to me. Other people must have gotten it, because they showed up for Night Prayer. Travalon had a weird day too, like they were doing a competition with other clubs to see who could build the highest tower out of glass blocks, but the kids must have misunderstood and thought they were competing against each other, so they all made their own towers instead of cooperating to make one really big tower. Travalon says that on some random day, when there's no competition, they'll happily build a really tall tower together... but not when you ask them to, apparently.

Yesterday I discovered a social media page called "Man Who Has Everything." It's hilarious, and they should really do one for the White Person Who Has Everything too. The posts are all things that men say to women, only women are saying them to men, like, "Why don't you go clean the bathroom, John? It burns 71 calories and you need to lose a few pounds." Or, "'Men can be doctors too,' says man who has to make it all about gender." Or, "'I don't mind being called a chairwoman because I know the term covers both women and men,' says John the Chairwoman." Or, "'Quit calling me a male coder. I'm just a coder,'" says male coder who always makes it all about gender." And of course, "'I would be happy to help my husband with holiday preparations if he would just tell me what to do,' says CEO Claire. 'I've been known to change a nappy because I'm a very hands-on mother.'" (It's a British site.) (Apparently people are just as sexist in Britain.) As I kept reading these posts, they seemed mean-spirited, but then I realized that's the point - these are all actual things women have to put up with, so why does it seem mean only when some hypothetical man is putting up with them? They even sell shirts that say "Cyclist" and "Male Cyclist" for romantic partners, or "Legend" and "Married to a Legend," and the Legend one is only in women's sizes while the "Married to..." one is only in men's sizes. I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who's been angered by these things. I love how men just throw around, "Oh, the masculine covers both," as if they would want to be called "chairwoman." And why do they always act like being called anything feminine is an insult, but then we are supposed to be flattered if they tell us we're "one of the guys" and "taking it like a man"? Who decided male is better than female? Not a female, I can guarantee you that! 

Which reminds me, while I don't care at all about either Taylor Swift (her music is way too white for my taste) or the Kansas City Chiefs, I am puzzled by all the vitriol being hurled at them. It's like people are upset that a woman likes football, or something? I mean, there are way weirder conspiracy theories online about how the Liberal Cabal that controls this country made sure the Chiefs were going to the Super Bowl so that Taylor Swift could come out during the halftime show and tell everyone to vote Democrat. It's amazing how right-wing people are so prone to conspiracy theories. My observation is that they have a lower level of critical thinking; I remember watching the cult of personality around Obama in 2008 with unease, but once he was elected and didn't fulfill all their fantasies, they got over him. The cult of personality around Trump in 2016 was just as freaky, but even though he did nothing (what wall?), the cult has just grown stronger. I've seen videos of people at his rallies saying they would love him even if he killed someone. And don't get me started on the quasi-religious fan art! Oh boy. Is it any wonder people so insane would think a pop star is going to take over the country via football?


Famous Hat


No comments: