Thursday, January 4, 2024

Deja Vu Dinner

 

Last night Travalon and I went to St. Charles Station, which is basically Liliana's. I had jambalaya, while he had the most delicious tenderloin ever. There was jazz playing in the background, and the waitress was super attentive even though she would automatically get a 20% tip. I was fascinated to see a wine with a Basque name, "Beltza Itxas Harria," which apparently means Black Stone. I know "beltza" is black, and I couldn't remember what "Harria" was, and I thought "itxas" was "itxaso," which means sea, so I thought it was Black Sea Something. Anyway, it was a red blend, and it was delicious. I felt so old when I was telling the waitress about living in the Basque Country for a summer many moons ago. I got a free dessert (chocolate mousse), and she took our photo.

I also made a short video of the Christmas lights reflecting off a wine glass.


The food was very good, but there were only two other tables of people. That seemed strange - Liliana's was always far more popular than that. Maybe people aren't going out after the holidays?

Today I worked for half a day, and I was surprised by how many other people were on campus too. Hardingfele gave me hedgehog socks and chocolates for my birthday. One coworker left me a little ceramic Christmas succulent.


It's very cute, but it gets kind of hot when it's turned on. (Why does that sound sexy? Do I just have a dirty mind?) She gave another coworker a miniature game of corn hole, complete with mini beanbags. That was really cute too.

I had to walk across campus to drop off a check, and I saw this on the bike path:


Looks legit.

I left work at 12:30 and went downtown to meet Tiffy. We had lunch at Himal Chuli, walked down to the Union, and then hung out at her sister's apartment until Rich picked us up and took us back to St. Charles Station, where he and Tiffy treated me to dinner. We had some appetizers, tempura mushrooms and risotto balls, until Travalon arrived, then we all had the tenderloin. This time I had the apple tart for dessert. Our waitress was so happy to see us again, especially since we were the only ones in the restaurant. What's going on? How can they stay in business like this? Are people mad because the owner changed the name of the restaurant since his daughter (whom it was named after) became trans? There is a casual part now, and that was far more popular both nights. I prefer the fine dining area, but the casual part does have good pizza. I hope business picks up for them.


Famous Hat


No comments: