Friday, January 26, 2024

Slightly Disappointing Evening

 

Today I worked from home, and it rained all day so I got very wet on my lunchtime walk. Then Travalon and I thought we would check out the fish fry at the East Side Club. They used to have caterers run their Friday night fish fries, but they really haven't had one since the pandemic, so they decided to do it themselves. We didn't get there until pretty late because of Travalon's work schedule, and then we were the only ones there besides the people working the fish fry. I think they are competing against too many actual restaurants. What they need to do is have something nobody else has, like before the pandemic they had Latin music dances every Saturday night. Why don't they bring that back? They were very popular.

As we drove by Olbrich Gardens, we saw a ton of cars in the parking lot. "What could be going on at this hour?" we asked each other, so we pulled in and parked. We could see people inside, but when we got to the front door, there was a big sign: "Private event. No public access." That explains why I hadn't heard about it in their email newsletter.

We decided to check out the Crucible, a nightclub we have never been to, so we pulled into the parking lot, and I noticed the guy in the next car was wearing a sparkly silver top and putting on lipstick. I said it must be a drag show, and Travalon said that sounded entertaining, so we got out of our car... and then we noticed everyone else was still sitting in their cars. Just then a woman came up to us and asked if we were there for Kink Night. I guess we look pretty vanilla, because she said, "This is a once-a-month BDSM event. (I assume she meant bondage, sadism, and masochism.) You might want to come another night. On Wednesdays we have karaoke. Also, the doors don't open tonight until nine." So we left.

We decided to walk over to Mariner's for an ice cream drink, since the rest of the evening had been kind of a letdown, and that was fine. They still had their beautiful Christmas decorations up, and for some reason the place smelled like nutmeg. We watched the very end of the game in which the Badger men's basketball team beat Michigan State, then we headed home. And then I remembered that there was a big folk dance festival at the Union, but at that point we didn't feel like going out again. Oh well, it wasn't a terrible evening, just a slightly disappointing one.

Anyway, it's time for some DuoLingo bragging:


So how long have I been wasting time with the Green Owl? The app told me I just had my ninth "Duoversary," so that means it's been nearly a decade, and yet I'm still only fluent in English.


Famous Hat


No comments: