Monday, January 15, 2024

Watching the MLK Commemoration on TV

 

Today was still frigid, with a windchill advisory, so I was torn about going to the Martin Luther King commemoration at the Capitol. I have often gone, and part of me feels like the point of the day off is not to sit at home and do nothing but to think about the reason for the holiday, but we would have had to park and walk quite a ways in the cold. Then I remembered that Mamastep texted me one year that she had seen me on TV at the commemoration, so Travalon and I quickly ascertained that we could watch it on PBS. It's almost the same energy as being there. There were teenagers from Milwaukee playing mariachi music, and they were fabulous. There was a gospel choir up from Chicago, and they brought the soul. A little girl recited part of MLK's "I Have a Dream" speech, and a local pastor gave the most rousing keynote talk ever. As always, I wept when the bagpipes played "Amazing Grace" and the trumpet played "Taps" in memory of MLK. Bonus: at home I could weep more freely.

Speaking of racism, someone posted on social media about some "documentary" purporting to tell the "Truth" about the cop who killed George Floyd. I find this extremely hypocritical, since the same people think Ashli Babbitt, who was shot during the January 6 riots, is a martyr. I would prefer that cops not kill any unarmed civilians, but I am more sympathetic to a cop shooting at dozens of violent rioters coming at him while he's trying to protect endangered politicians than a cop with three backups strangling an already subdued suspect. It seems to me that people who think George Floyd deserved to be killed but that Ashli Babbitt was an innocent victim are only working from the premise that any white person can kill any black person and it's justified, but if a black person kills a white person, no matter the circumstances, it is an egregious wrong. Hmm... there's a word for that. I have thought of posting on social media that Mary, as Mother of us all, weeps whenever one of us suffers, so think of her weeping when all those Africans were brought over on slave ships. But sadly I thought that would be controversial.

Travalon and I were going a little stir-crazy, and we figured we'd see a lot of eagles in this cold weather, so we drove out to Sauk. The roads were still bad, but we made it out there. Here are photos.






















Tomorrow I get to work from home, so I can avoid the cold for one more day... until my adoration hour. Hopefully my car starts! And the tires aren't low. Travalon's tire light came on, as they tend to on really cold days, and then of course we had to wait for two other people to use the air compressor at Kwik Trip, and then as soon as Travalon was done, another guy needed it. Low tires on frigid days are one of the worst things about winter - there's no way to fill your tires without taking off your gloves. Brr!!


Famous Hat


No comments: