Sunday, January 21, 2024

Packers' Season Finale and Mamastep's Birthday Party

 

Sorry for my silence the last few days. Friday I had a quiet day of working from home, but then I had an exciting drive over terrible roads to Rich's house to see Mr. Icon. He was in town but leaving yesterday, so Friday evening was my once chance to see him. Kathbert and El Vegetariano were there too, and the son of the guy who makes fabulous desserts came a little later. Mr. Icon was saying that you can really see the Northern Lights up on Kodiak, and Rich said he'd heard someone once say they were way north in Norway and could see the Northern Lights as a full circle. Mr. Icon said at four in the morning sometimes you could see the Zodiacal Lights, which looked like a disc at the horizon, and when I asked what caused that, he said, "Zodiac poop," so Kathbert said, "My sign is the only one that doesn't poop," since Libra is the only non-animate sign. But El Vegetariano said the lady holding the scales would poop. Then the Dessert Guy's Son sang us a Weird Al Yankovic song called "Your Horoscope for Today" from memory, and it was hilarious. I feel like there was something else about the conversation that I was going to say, but it's eluding me right now. Travalon was at the Badger Basketball game during all this.

Also on Friday, Travalon painted his glowing rocks: the Beatles Apple logo and the Wolverhampton logo.



Yesterday Travalon and I went out to Sauk to see eagles. Here are some photos.










We also saw lots of Canada geese and goldeneye ducks.




At the dam we saw lots of eagles flying around.









In the evening we went to the East Side Club for the Packers Watch Party. They were doing so well against the Forty-Niners that we thought they might actually win, but in the end they lost by a field goal. Still, an excellent season that we had thought earlier would be a rebuilding one. They got just as far in the playoffs as Rodgers usually did - getting knocked off by San Francisco every year. Now we are hoping for the Lions to win the Super Bowl, since they're the only interesting team left, and they have never won it. I believe they have never even been to it, the only team that hasn't. This is their year. (I hope!)

Today we went to Mass in the gym, but there was no sign of the choir. When I asked the guy handing out the bulletins after Mass about it, he shrugged and said he guessed they got the day off. Then we got lunch at Zippy Lube before going home to actually clean the house a bit. It still needs a lot of work, but it really looks a lot better already. We need to do this every weekend.

In the evening we went to Mamastep's birthday party at the Nitty Gritty in Sun Prairie. Everyone else brought her a present, but I didn't even bring her the thing she already owns, the salad bowl and forks she left at Rich's house after my own birthday party. Travalon and I sat next to some very fun women, and we chatted all evening. One said a friend of hers makes soap, so we were looking at the website, and there were soaps for each zodiac sign. All the other signs had bright, colorful soaps, but the Capricorn soap was gray. Why does everyone think Capricorns hate bright colors? Am I the anomaly here? I am so tired of being told I'm the worst sign and that my colors are blah ones like brown and gray. Is it because there are so few of us that we get the worst of everything? Kind of like how everyone pushes Gen X around because we are such a small generation. 

Mamastep got her glass for unlimited beer even though her birthday is tomorrow, and then her friend whose birthday was earlier this month got one too. Then they both got mini sundaes with candles. I said to the waitress that my birthday had been this month too (although I hadn't brought my purse and couldn't prove it), and she said I couldn't get the glass for unlimited beer (which I didn't want anyway, not after an amazing spiced pear old fashioned), but she could give me the mini sundae. Mine didn't have a candle, but it was free, and it seemed a little bigger so Travalon and I could split it. It was like a bite and a half of sundae - just the perfect amount. I guess my birthday festivities are still going on!

Speaking of things still going on, there are still some houses decorated for Christmas.




They must be of the school of thought that the Christmas season doesn't end until Groundhog's Day, which is actually Candlemas. I approve!


Famous Hat


No comments: