Saturday, January 27, 2024

Secret Message on a Banana

 

Yesterday evening I read a story about a boy whose mother left a secret message for him in a hard-boiled egg. He didn't know until he was an adult and she had died that she was the one who had done it, and in the story he didn't reveal her methods. I thought it would be cool to do something like that... and then I remembered that it is very easy to write a secret message on a banana, and then by the morning it would show up. However, the message appeared faster than that, so Travalon found his secret message last night, not this morning when he would have gone to grab a banana. He did seem delighted by the message. He even took a photo.


This morning Travalon and I cleaned again, then we ran some errands, including out in Sauk. We saw eagles in all three spots, and Travalon got photos.




















We didn't see any goldeneye ducks today. After eagle watching, we got coffee to brew at the Mixing Bowl and then had quiche there for lunch. Next door is a sort of antiques shop/art gallery, so we went there and Travalon got a book his dad used to own about fishing. I got this crocheted pickle. We couldn't decide if the white lines were supposed to go under or over the eyes; it was sold with them under the eyes, but we thought maybe they should go over the eyes, like eyebrows. However, that makes the pickle look mean, so I turned the photo upside-down so you could see it both ways, if you can get over that it's upside-down. Maybe I should just take a new photo...



I will leave it to my readers to decide which way is better. 

After getting back to Madison, we took a walk at Governor Nelson State Park on a trail we had not been on before, which took us to a road with a beautiful view of an inlet on the lake. Travalon took some photos with his cell phone, since he had not brought his good camera. 




We went to Mass at the church near us, and during communion they sang a modern liturgical song I actually liked by a woman named Janet Sullivan something - it was very tuneful. Something about all ages will know the glory of God. Then we took a walk at Tenney Park along the canal until we got to the Parched Eagle, where we had a beer. Travalon took this photo.


Sadly, it is closing in March. I'm not surprised, but it is the end of an era. I remember when it was up by us and they used to have bands sometimes on a Friday or Saturday night. I don't think moving to downtown Madison, where he had a lot of competition, was a wise strategic move, but after all he didn't ask my advice.

We ended the evening by going to the funny little pizza place not too far from us again. It's called It's Good for You, which might be true to some extent (how good for you is pizza in general?) since they make everything from scratch. Our lunch was made from scratch too, and I definitely feel the difference, not eating weird additives for a whole day. I had oatmeal for breakfast and fruit for a snack, so nothing too over-processed all day long. If only it were easier to eat like this all the time. I am guilty of bringing frozen burritos to work with me for lunch, and they may be organic, but they're still very processed.


Famous Hat 

No comments: