Saturday, October 31, 2020

Halloween Trip to Wyalusing State Park

 

Today Travalon and I drove west along the Wisconsin River, so that we could say we have followed the river from end to end in 2020. We drove along Highway 60 some years ago in October on the way to visit my parents, and the views were spectacular in places as we drove between bluffs and the river. That was a little earlier in the month, and by now most of the leaves are gone, but it was still a pretty drive. The day was sunny and gorgeous and warm enough for hiking, so we set off with high hopes.

In Lone Rock I had to use the bathroom, so we stopped at the town park, but the public restrooms were nailed shut. I saw some people come out of a building that looked like a school, so I went over to investigate. They had this intriguing sign in the yard, so I took a picture.


For those of you who remember when I submitted 54 new flavor suggestions to Jelly Belly for a contest they had years ago, I did submit a Cthulhu-flavored jellybean that would taste like calamari. This building also had a smiley-face flag flying on its flagpole, but I forgot to take a picture of that. It was the classic yellow smiley face on a lavender background. A hippie chick saw me taking a picture of the sign, so she came out and started talking to me. It seems to be some sort of hippie commune, and she let me in to use the bathroom. Inside it sure looks like a school, albeit one where a bunch of hippies (and cats) are living.

We stopped at a boat landing near Muscoda, and Travalon took some photos.




Some of the most breathtaking scenery was in places where we couldn't safely stop to take a picture, but now and then we passed a turnoff where we could, like this one.



                               



We stopped at another boat landing near Boscobel and took a walk. The scenery there was so beautiful that Travalon took some photos, and I even took a couple with my cell phone.

                               








When we got to Prairie du Chien, we had a late lunch at this Mexican restaurant:

                               

Then we went to Wyalusing State Park, where the Wisconsin River flows into the Mississippi. We went to the overlook, and Travalon took some photos.



                               





Then we took a hike and saw rock formations, more scenes of the rivers below, golden trees, and pines.











Then we drove down to the boat landing in the park and looked back up at the bluff we had just been on, and across the river at other bluffs. There were lots of islands in the river at that point.







We also saw a beautiful white bird that was definitely not a gull or an egret. I think it might have been an osprey. I got a photo, but it didn't really turn out.

Tonight at Night Prayer I was the only one who dressed up for Halloween.


My big excitement tomorrow (other than watching the Packers beat the Vikings) is that I found a rosary at the antiques store in Minocqua that has medals of a bunch of saints on it, so I've been saving it for All Saints' Day. And tomorrow it will finally be here!


Famous Hat



No comments: