Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Just Fix the Darn Hole!

 

Yesterday was an interesting train day. My neighbor has now broken her other foot, so I went alone to the shady spot to walk at lunch. I heard the train in the distance as I was wrapping up my walk, so I hurried back to the car and drove along Westport Road, hoping to see the train. The track is elevated at that point, so the train would be easy to see, and I had a feeling it was coming, but there isn't really a shoulder to pull over and wait. I kept driving, and then I could see the train once I got to the Nau-Ti-Gal, so I pulled into the parking lot and watched the rest of it go by. It passed, and then I noticed a guy in a truck stopped sort of behind me, so I wasn't sure if he was watching the train or watching me. Then at three I went out to pray the Divine Mercy Chaplet, and I was heading toward the shady trees until hearing the train horn. I went over to the Nau-Ti-Gal, and the train came from the east again. I made another video, but it is just shy of a minute long, and Blogspot is telling me it's too large to post. (I thought one minute was its limit.) Is it even worth putting this video on YouTube so I can post it? It's not much different from the previous video I posted of the train coming from the east. 

Today I worked at the Killer Building again, and Hardingfele is back on campus too, so she came over at noon, bringing me two little dracaena plants and a pair of llama socks. (Does she know me, or what?) We walked over to the building with the Mesozoic Garden for lunch, and on the way back we passed three of these signs that said "hole" on the sidewalk. Hardingfele said that was blogworthy, so I took a photo.


Seriously, if you are going to go to all the trouble to make a cover for the hole and label it (with paint that looks like it would glow under a blacklight), why not just fix it?? How much harder could that be? Hardingfele asked if I still blog, and I said, "Almost every day!" Longtime readers may remember that she used to be my #1 commenter, but I'm not sure she even remembers how to find this blog. She's too busy playing on MyFace.

Meanwhile, Travalon was buying a new Honda CRV. He named it Hirohito after the Japanese emperor.


He had dropped me off at work in my car, but he picked me up in Hirohito, so we had to drive back to Zimbrick to pick up my car. When we got home, I took a picture of some more new rosaries.


The one on the left is the one I bought at the Sauk City antiques store when the rosary with the relic in the crucifix had already been sold. The middle one is a pastel rainbow one probably meant for a child, and when I ordered it online, the woman who was making it asked me what medal I wanted on it, so I chose a St. Joseph one. I don't believe I already had a St. Joseph rosary, if you can believe it. I brought it with me to Adoration yesterday, but in the library I found the one on the right, so I prayed with that one. It's a wooden mission rosary missing a bead in the blue decade, and it made me think of myself: flawed, earthy, and colorful. I really enjoyed praying with it, other than having to remember about the missing bead, but I'm used to that with my motley collection of antique rosaries in various states of disrepair. I do like the wooden, glass, and especially stone rosaries. Something about those somewhat natural materials makes them pleasurable to pray with in a way that cheap plastic rosaries never are.


Famous Hat


No comments: