Monday, August 30, 2021

Weekend at Tiffy's Place

 

Sorry for the silence the last couple of days. Saturday morning Travalon had to get going kind of early, so I headed to Racine right away to visit Tiffy. It was very hot, even in Racine, which is usually ten degrees cooler than Madison in the summer and ten degrees warmer in the winter because of the lake. We sat in her air-conditioned condo talking until going to a farm-to-table restaurant for lunch, where we sat inside. Then I said we could walk in the mall near her house. We walked briskly for twenty minutes and then looked for rosaries (found three at a jewelry kiosk, but I didn't buy any) and astrology stuff (no luck). We did find some cool historical photos. Check out the Racine Bicycle Club from 1887 with their penny farthing bicycles!


Then we swam in her condo association's pool and hung out in the hot tub for a couple of hours. Was that ever relaxing! We planned to go to dinner at a fancy restaurant on the lake, but they wouldn't let us in without reservations, so we went to a far more affordable Thai restaurant. Right outside of it were a couple of dragons from the China Lights display in Milwaukee.


I only ate half my pad see yew, and I had a Thai green tea, which might have been a mistake because then I couldn't get to sleep. Weirder still, I woke up at 6:30 the next morning. That way I had time to eat the rest of my pad see yew with plenty of time for the hour fast before Mass. The church closest to Tiffy's place is called St. Sebastian's, but outside of it was a statue of St. Francis surrounded by animals. That is admittedly less scary to kids than a statue of St. Sebastian with all those arrows sticking out of him would be... Then we went to a Mexican restaurant for lunch, and then we went to the Milwaukee Art Museum since it was another hot day. Tiffy was most interested in the exhibit of Americans in Spain, and there were some beautiful paintings. This was my favorite.


Some of the modern art was weird, though. There was one that was a doll with a chair squishing its head, and the face was blank but the artist's face was projected onto it, and there was a recording of him saying stuff like, "Sometimes I can't feel the top of my head." I tried to make a video, but it didn't work. 

Then I headed home and turned right around to go to band practice. Here's a picture of my bandmate's granddog Bongo.


There was a gorgeous sunset, but my phone didn't take the best photo of it.


I tried another setting to get the extraordinary pink tone, but it just made a weird sepia tone.


Meanwhile, Travalon was up north with his friend who lives in Japan, who is visiting right now. These are photos of the view from their cottage in Crystal Falls, Michigan.



This is Strong Falls in Goodman County Park on the Peshtigo River.




And these are photos from Chute Pond County Park.



I was too tired to blog last night, and today I was very tired after going into the office. It's not going into the Killer Building that wears me out - it's when other people are there. They all need things from me. Travalon just got home, and he has lots of photos of waterfalls on his good camera, so I expect that's what I'll be blogging about tomorrow.


Famous Hat


No comments: