Monday, August 9, 2021

Lanterns at the Peace Protest

 

Tonight Travalon and I did a really hippie thing: we went to the peace protest at Tenney Park for the anniversary of the bombing of Hiroshima. People were talking about the F-35 fighter jets that the powers that be want to bring to Madison, and how we can stop them. Meanwhile, I made a lantern featuring a rainbow, a lotus blossom with chakras, a palm tree, and a pineapple. Interestingly, rainbows and palm trees were popular choices, along with peace signs, so I am not that original.





Then two canoes went out into the lagoon, bringing the lit lanterns and floating them on the water as people sang the kinds of songs you would expect at such an event, like the old spiritual "Down by the Riverside" and "Blowin' in the Wind" by Bob Dylan. We watched from the arched bridge, and I sang too.





I really dig this tie-dyed lantern with a palm tree!











Here is my rainbow, just to the right of the big cutout peace sign.






If you look carefully, you can see my lantern in the middle of the pack, with the pink lotus and the rainbow showing.


I took this photo of my lantern - you can see the pineapple and the palm tree.


And here you can see the rainbow and the pineapple on my lantern, on the left side of the middle group.




Just after it got pretty dark, the people came around in the canoes and started bringing the lanterns in. I think they said they save them and use them for as long as they last...? Who knows, maybe my lantern will show up at the protest next year. Maybe they will wonder, "Why a pineapple?" but they're a symbol of hospitality, so that seems as peaceful as anything. I just think the lit-up lamps on the water are so beautiful, and I hope they remind everyone that we must never use a nuclear weapon again.


Famous Hat

No comments: