Sunday, April 12, 2020

Easter in Isolation


I hope my readers had a good Easter in isolation. Travalon and I watched the Mass from our parish. Ma Hat was obviously busy decorating Easter eggs. I love the colors!


Success! I made the Vietnamese egg coffee, and it seemed to turn out right. Travalon loved it, but I thought it was way too sweet. However, afterwards I felt very content, probably because of all the protein in it. It's not so hard to make: you take two egg yolks and half a cup of sweetened condensed milk and beat until fluffy, then you spoon it onto the tops of two strong cups of coffee. It was kind of pretty, but I didn't take a picture of it. Then after lunch I took the egg whites and beat them with macha powder and sugar. They turned out beautifully, but they weren't quite sweet enough until we added some honey. I thought of that because the sadly defunct rolled ice cream store in town made macha-flavored ice cream, and I had it drizzled with honey, and oh my was that delicious! Here is a photo of the whipped macha.


In Rich's garden, the dark blue hyacinths I rescued from the Lutheran church years ago are blooming.



So are the squills, or whatever these are. I think they came in a set of "blue" bulbs that I bought from Hardingfele's kid for a school fundraiser years ago. There was a beautiful blue iris, some crocuses that are done blooming, and grape hyacinths that aren't blooming yet. The iris disappeared years ago. Who knows what zone it was actually for? I think Hardingfele's kid was in third grade when I bought this, and she's now a freshman in college.


Here is the other thing I worked on today - a rosary sun catcher! Why didn't I think of this years ago? My neighbor will bring kits to people so that they can make things at home, and then she will fire them. This hasn't been fired yet, so I'll post a photo once it is.


Can I make a confession? Everyone is complaining online about what a horrible year 2020 is, but I am enjoying it. I feel deeply for the people who have lost their jobs, and the small businesses that may not survive, and of course all the people sick with the virus, but I love the slower pace of life right now. I can still do my job, in some ways more efficiently with no interruptions, and then I can take breaks to pray and to walk outside, where Nature is waking back up after the long winter, the cranes are calling, and the flowers are blooming. I feel strangely hopeful for this year, that maybe after we all get through this, we will emerge kinder and more focused on what is really important. Then this won't all have been in vain.

Famous Hat


No comments: