Saturday, April 4, 2020

Nearby Bluff and Swans at Horicon Marsh


I hope my readers had a good Saturday. It's kind of like any other day now, except that I can sleep longer and go further away for a hike. I do have some pictures to share. First, Ma Hat has a white and a red amaryllis blooming. Aren't they pretty?


We got a bunch of bananas recently that had this little baby banana, left next to the regular-sized banana for comparison. When I opened it, the fruit inside was like wood, so it was inedible.


Remember the photo I posted of my uncle's neighbors' luminaries that they set out for Christmas? They have set them out again. A lot of people are putting up their Christmas lights as a way to combat  corona virus-induced gloom, or so I hear. None of our neighbors have done so, unfortunately.


Thursday Travalon and I went back to the bluff in the neighborhood right next to ours, then we hiked around a small pond (sorry, no pictures of that) and back into the woods again. Here is the trail going up the bluff, and more of the bluff.



This is the view from the top of the bluff. You can see the lake!


We found more of these hearts all over in the woods. My favorite is the leopard-print one.





And even from the woods, you can see the lake this time of year.


Then today Travalon and I met up with Jilly Moose, who gave us presents she and OK Cap had made for us: a Packers blanket and a Bucks blanket! After that, Travalon and I went hiking at Horicon Marsh. We went on the boardwalk and saw a muskrat, two turtles, and of course lots of Canada geese. Then on the way to the other section, we saw these two beautiful swans!


At the other section we took a long hike. We saw the white-headed goose again, but she was too far away to take a picture. I felt bad because last time she seemed to have a mate, but this time she seemed to be all alone, kind of hanging out away from the Canada geese. We also saw two swans (smaller than the swans above) who were having some hot swan-on-swan action. I was more discrete than to take a photo of that, but here you can see the male flapping his wings in post-coital triumph while his wife looks on.


We found a hill with marsh all around it, and we had magnificent views from there, like of this section of marsh that does not appear to be a natural shape. Are ponds usually square?


Two shots to show you how extensive Horicon Marsh is:



We sat listening to all those birds singing. We heard lots of red-winged blackbirds, some ducks, of course Canada geese, a sandhill crane now and then, and some other things I could not identify. One bird sounded almost like a kookaburra. What laughs like that in a marsh? When we first got to that section of the marsh, we saw a line of silent, very large white birds with black wings flying in a straight line, not a V. Whatever they were, they were gorgeous! Were they more swans? I think they might have been the elusive whooping cranes!

Speaking of gorgeous, when we got home, we saw the sunset reflecting off of our tennis court.


I hope everyone has a happy and blessed Palm Sunday tomorrow.

Famous Hat

No comments: