Thursday, April 30, 2020

More Bird Stories


Since most of what I do these days is either talk to people on video chats or go for walks in my neighborhood, that is all I can really blog about. Yesterday the Rosary Ladies got together again for a rosary on Google Hangouts, and then at 9 pm I prayed a second rosary because the grad student in Poland had emailed me to say everyone should pray a rosary at 9 pm their local time for an end to the pandemic. It was a Dominican thing because it was the feast day of St. Catherine of Siena.

Yesterday it was raining all day, but my neighbor and I went for our four walks anyway. (I get breaks at 10 and 3, a lunch break at noon, and then at 4:30 I'm done with work and back out the door for another walk.) On one of the afternoon walks, it was no longer raining hard, just drizzling, and as we were walking along, we saw a man coming toward us who kept looking over his shoulder. Walking behind him with great purpose was a crane. The man told us, "I don't know why he's following me," and he turned off. The crane kept going straight, walking right by us two women without paying us any mind. It looked like it had to be somewhere quite promptly.

The other day I was walking alone on the boardwalk behind a nearby condo complex when I saw a pair of geese ahead of me on the boardwalk. I slowed down to give them time to move, and they waddled off to the side and started heading toward the water. There were large rocks along the shore, and one goose tripped and fell down over the rocks, then it got back up and acted like, "I meant to do that!" The second goose seemed freaked out by this turn of events, and it gingerly stepped over the rocks and made its way very slowly to the water. I couldn't help it, I laughed. When I told Travalon this story and the one about the crane, he said, "You sure get a lot of story material from the birds in our neighborhood!" So I figured, why not blog about it?

On a related note, the lone goose has not been hanging around in its usual spot, so I told Travalon I had scared it off by saying I would be its friend, and just then we turned a corner and saw a whole bunch of geese. There were three pairs, and one by itself, but still with the group. So it looks like our grieving goose is slowly making it way back into goose society.

Famous Hat

No comments: