Sunday, August 16, 2020

Mississippi Riverboat Cruise

 

Friday evening Travalon and I went swimming at Governor Nelson State Park, and we saw a guy in a sea foam green row boat with sea foam green oars take off from the boat launch at the park. He had something about the size of a human wrapped up in white plastic, and I said, "Do you think he has a dead body that he's going to dump in the middle of the lake?" but Travalon doubted it. He was right, of course, because the guy raised a sea foam green mast, and then I realized the white plastic stuff was a sail! He sailed toward Governor's Island, then I took a shower, and in the ten minutes I was gone he had come back! I wish I'd seen him sailing that fast back across the lake! After I talked to Tiffy, Travalon and I went to see meteors, and I saw a couple, but we were on a street that used to be full of empty houses, and now people have moved in, so it wasn't as dark. Plus someone left that late at night and kind of stared at us, so we went to our dock to watch for meteors, but we didn't see any more.

Yesterday Travalon and I drove to LaCrosse, praying all four mysteries of the Rosary on the way in honor of the Assumption. At a rest stop we saw this cute black squirrel.

We met Ma and Pa Hat at the Shrine, where we had lunch in the cafe, found some stuff in the gift shop, and went up the hill to the church. Here are some photos, mostly taken by Ma Hat.






Ma and Pa Hat didn't want to join us antiquing, so Travalon and I went to some antiques shops by ourselves, and I found a ton of rosaries, but most of them were really overpriced. I did get a few reasonably priced ones. Travalon got a really cool miniature Potosi billboard that actually lights up and an adorable Texaco teddy bear, but I forgot to take photos so I'll just have to post those later. Then we hurried to the riverfront to board the LaCrosse Queen, a real riverboat with a paddle wheel. Most of us had dinner down below deck, and our live music was a guy playing guitar and singing country... but it was old country like Johnny Cash and Hank Williams Sr., so it was okay. A few lucky people got to eat up above, in the open air, and after dinner (prime rib, chicken, carrots, potatoes, cole slaw, dinner role, and carrot cake for dessert) most of the rest of us went up there too. It was a perfect evening weather-wise, and Travalon and I took lots of pictures. (Most of these are his.)





























And here is a video of the paddle wheel:

Today Travalon and I went hiking with Richard Bonomo at Kegonsa State Park. Rich forgot to wear a hat, so he borrowed one of Travalon's ball caps. I had never seen Rich in a ball cap, so I had to take a picture.

I'm used to seeing Rich in either his ancient banana leaf hat (he says it's older than I am) or the high-tech gardening hat made of NASA materials that I gave him. 


Famous Hat







No comments: