Sunday, August 9, 2020

The Pink Poodle

 

Today at Mass the priest said that if we knew anyone who was interested in becoming Catholic, we should give them information on our parish's RCIA program. I know a lot of people who are attracted to the teachings of Christ, but they are mostly politically liberal and would balk at having to swear fealty to a political party headed by someone who seems to be the antithesis of Christ's teachings. In fact, some days I think of leaving our parish myself. Today a couple were saying how they had been to see a cardinal who is openly defiant of the Pope, and two different people who used to go to this parish (I believe they both go to the Tradistan parish now) posted an article on social media about how Vigano says he is trying to stop a New World Order. Is this really the mess we want to bring people into? We should clean our house before inviting people over. I think at other parishes people are more orthodox and listen to the Pope over these heretical bishops, and I'm about ready to check it out and see if I'm right.

When I was in college, I was going to an Evangelical Bible study, and we talked about the story of the woman caught in adultery. I said, "Wow, this Jesus guy is pretty cool!" since that was not a story they really emphasized in Catholic grade school. Imagine: women's sexual sins are no more unforgivable than men's sins of greed and pride! Jesus made a point of this, with the woman at the well and the woman who bathed His feet with her tears and then dried them with her hair. The thing is, I don't think a lot of people got the memo. Today people still think women who sin sexually are permanently marred, but men who sin because of pride or greed are not even sinning but just being astute businessmen. Sometimes I wonder how many so-called Christians even read this Gospel they keep going on about...

Today the weather was weird, so Travalon and I went shopping instead of hiking. I had been curious about a consignment shop called the Pink Poodle, and it's right next door to the used book store, so he was happy to look at books while I looked at used bling. The clothes in the Pink Poodle were not my style, especially now that I am working from home and can always dress like I'm about to go hiking in the North Woods. There was so much jewelry that it was visually dazzling, and I enjoyed just gazing at all that sparkle. I thought maybe I saw a rosary, but it was just a necklace. I did end up buying a bracelet. Then we went to the Odana Antiques Mall because Travalon is looking for a Reggie White bobble head, and I thought I might check out the rosaries I hadn't bought last time. He found bobble heads, including one of Bart Starr that was too expensive, but not the one he was looking for. I was surprised to find that they had hardly any rosaries this time, but I did find a sparkly one. Not quite as sparkly as the collection of bling at the Pink Poodle, but it will do.


Famous Hat


No comments: