Thursday, August 13, 2020

More Rosary Ponderings

 

This evening we had a going-away party for a neighbor who is moving to Oakwood Village. His wife died last year, so I can understand why he would want to move, but we will miss having his boat expertise readily available. (He was in the Coast Guard.) Travalon and I brought crab rangoons, and there were all sorts of other food: pizza and mozzarella sticks and brownies and cupcakes, plus we drank New Glarus Raspberry Tart. I had to leave early because, ironically, I had a weight loss meeting. After all that food, I was kind of in a food coma and yawned through the whole online meeting. Today's session: emotional eating. What about when the emotion is yay party?

When we went to the resale shop in Mineral Point, I looked at something called "prayer beads" but didn't get it. It was a string of three groups of three beads with an angel wing on one end and a crescent moon on the other end. Later I looked it up, and I could have prayed a St. Michael Chaplet, which might explain the angel wing, but I have a feeling it was New Age prayer beads. I have seen things like that online, like a "rosary" to the Moon Goddess. Prayer beads are used in many religions, and in fact the word "bead" comes from an Old English word for "prayer," but I am leery of using beads for a Christian prayer that might have been used for who knows what. Or would that sanctify them? Anyway, I do enough chaplets every day as it is. It does really help my goal of walking five miles every day to jump up and do a short chaplet while walking once an hour. In case anyone else is wondering about this fitness plan, I do the Padre Pio Chaplet in the eight o'clock hour. Nine: St. Jude Chaplet. Ten: St. Anne Chaplet. Eleven: Blessed Sacrament Chaplet. At noon I walk for at least twenty minutes, and if I don't have a walking partner (either Travalon or my neighbor), I pray a rosary. One: the Peace Chaplet. Two: the St. Anthony Chaplet. Three: the Divine Mercy Chaplet. After that, I just walk when I'm done with work.

Speaking of rosaries, I had another interesting experience with an antique one tonight. Usually they are such a joy to pray with, but there was that one I sensed something like hostility from, then it softened, and then I got a sense of utter bliss from it. This time it seemed like, even though the rosary was clearly older with a slightly corroded medal and chain, it had never been used before. I felt like it had been given to a man who never used it, and at first he was kind of indifferent to me, but then he warmed up to me. He did seem like, "Why do I need mercy?" and I pointed out that we all do and gave some examples of when I desperately needed mercy, and that seemed to win him over. But is this all in my imagination? I don't feel like there's a story with most of the rosaries, just a joyful feeling. I have an active imagination, but what causes me to feel like this about only a few rosaries in particular? Just one of those mysteries of life.


Famous Hat


No comments: