Monday, August 31, 2020

It Just Keeps Getting Worse

The plot thickens, because when I emailed our parish priest about the strangeness for those of us receiving on the hand at Mass, he said people are furious this option even exists. Apparently we should all have so much faith that God will save us from the virus that we shouldn't bother taking precautions. This is what a Catholic blogger I deeply respect means when he says for these people it is the "Me-charist," not the Eucharist. "My right to receive in a way that shows I am The Best Catholic Ever trumps your right to be safe!" It's all performative piety with these people. Then today one of them actually excommunicated me on my own social media page. Talk about aggression! People can post whatever they want on their own pages, or they can comment on what I post, but posting something about how I am no longer a member of the Catholic Church on my own page? That's beyond the pale. I was sorely tempted to unfriend this person but refrained and did send a private message saying I would unfriend them if they did it again. So yes, people are trying to drive me out of the Church, but I have no interest in leaving the One, Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church. However, I am very interested in leaving my parish. I have been a member there for decades, but if my fellow parishioners feel they can take it upon themselves to declare that I am no longer a member of the Church (by what authority? who knows?) in such a public venue, then I think it's best that I find another parish home.


Famous Hat


No comments: